Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday Morning....

Monday Morning...

Well, I fell asleep rather early last night, and as a result, I woke up quite a bit early last night. Four-ish, let's say. I wake up disproving the old saying, as I find myself none the healthier, wealthier or wiser.

I got up. I wrote a little, for the first time in what seems like months. I don't know if it's a New Year's Resolution or not. Gotta get my big ass in gear with that. Wandering around deep in the throes of self-delusion isn't nearly as fun as it sounds, 18 years after the fact.

Then, the sleepies started setting in. And I found that I was out of coffee.

Ran out and got a pack of Dunkin' Donuts, which has been selling like hotcakes at my store, lately. Actually, given the sales of both microwave and mix pancakes, I'd pretty conclusively be able to say that it's been selling better than hotcakes.

Made myself a cup, and now I settle in for the morning with last night's Simpsons on the TiVo....

A couple of thoughts, as we start wandering toward the week.

I'd commented earlier on the trampling death of a Wal (hyphen) Mart greeter on Black Friday, and I'm still pretty ill about the whole thing. I read somebody's comments over the weekend, but I can't remember who wrote them. I apologize for co-opting the thought, but I gotta wonder how those people who were battering the gates of that store, who were among the first few in the throng who trampled the man. Do you feel guilt? Scared? Or is there some deep denial going on right now?

I keep thinking of a time several months back, when I forgot to enter a vacation for one of the guys who works for me. As a result, he'd have to wait until the next paycheck to get his vacation pay....

I was friggin hangdog guilty for a couple of days after that, even losing a little sleep. I went in to work the next time I saw him ready to loan him the money out of my pocket, if that's what it took to make things right.

My point is, I've got a guilty conscience, pretty much for things even that I might have thought about doing.

My other point is that we all fuck up, and make mistakes.

Who's to say I won't one day trample a man to death?

Gunny Walker perhaps?

Anyway...my real point is...how do you deal with that? Knowing that you were part of a ridiculous, laughable, ignorant act that cost a man his life.

Are you guilty?

Do you lose sleep?

Or do you shrug it off? Do you convince yourself "wasn't me?"

Curious, is all.

Ah well. Going for another cup of coffee. Good coffee. Great price. Didn't trample anyone for it.

I think I'm to the good, today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home