Monday, February 01, 2010

ReRun Booby Thoughts

Anybody else floored that the whole Janet Jackson flashing incident was Six (6) years ago? I posted this a day or two after the incident (which I didn't see live, as I note...we'd flipped over to a showing of Independence Day, apparently. For the record, Independence Day is still preferable to anything Sean Combs does.

From February of 2004:

My Last Thoughts on the Booby (for Today)

You know, we're watching a violent game. That's a given, right? Where 300 pound men run in to each other several times over the course of the hour.

Played by players who were given preferential treatment all through their schooling....some of whom can barely read beyond a first grade level, yet were given a free ride through our educational system all the way to the college level based on their ability to catch a ball or run into another guy really, really good.

Also, these guys are getting paid six and seven figures a season to do what they do. Some of them will get more money this season than the greatest majority of teachers, firefighters, policemen and women, almost anybody serving in the armed forces, or even most doctors, will see over the course of their lifetimes.

And, without a doubt, a few of these men constantly push the envelope of acceptable behavior as far as how they conduct their chemical supplementation and their home lives.

What's more, the television broadcast of the game is paid for by ads for alcohol, movies that contain scary and violent images, and two different drugs that help people get and maintain erections. We even had a commercial (my personal favorite) where the girls in bikinis are playing volleyball on a beach in winter time, and at the end, they curse!!!!!! (damn).

Yet, an FCC Commissioner calls the Janet Jackson flash an outrage (quote borrowed from Mark Evanier):

F.C.C. Commissioner Michael Powell says, "I am outraged at what I saw during the halftime show of the Super Bowl. Like millions of Americans, my family and I gathered around the television for a celebration. Instead, that celebration was tainted by a classless, crass and deplorable stunt. Our nation's children, parents and citizens deserve better."

Well, Michael, I'm sorry that your high and holy celebration of the ignorant and violent erection and beer ceremony was tainted by a brief flash of Janet Jackson's booby. Just so you know, the Super Bowl in general is a crass and classless stunt. That's part of why I like it: in the sports world, the Super Bowl and the NBA players' entrances are the closest things we have to Pro Wrasslin' in the "real sports" world.

I should add that Bill thinks what we should be worried about is the whole misconception of the breast that our children will have now because of this.

Personally, I wasn't wanting to celebrate America or have a high and holy day with the Super Bowl. I just wanted to watch a football game. (A pretty decent game, but one I just couldn't get an emotional stake in, so I ended up not caring a whole bunch....)

Now. Let's all shut up about this, and focus on what's really important:

Baseball Season starts in two months.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cappy said...

All true. But this year The Colts are in it!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Teresa said...

Oddly enough I believe that is the ONLY Super Bowl half time show I've ever seen. Didn't watch earlier ones and that one was so bad, I didn't watch later ones either. LOL. (It wasn't the boobie thing it was Janet Jackson and who... was it Justin Timberlake???) It was dreadful - they were apparently "singing" but damned if I could hear any words. About half way through the performance I was thinking maybe it would be better if they got a room rather than stand there moaning into microphones... but that's just me.

Now I'll head back to watch the college hockey bean pot tournament. *grin*

10:50 PM  
Blogger Snotty Dog said...

I agree with Teresa.., the singing was definately BAD! I don't know why they're so upset about it anyway. Anyone who didn't watch probably watched the video clip from it which I'm sure the NFL profitted from "somehow!" I saw it.., and all I saw was a blurr.., not an actual BOOB I'm sure no GUYS were terribly upset over it anyway. LOL!

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home