Sunday, January 09, 2011

Random Thoughts, this cold Sunday morning....

Hello, and welcome to a very chilly Sunday morning in this neck of the woods. Just a few random thoughts and updates in the life of your pal, Big Stupid Tommy, none of which are long enough to warrant a post of their very own.

____

It's my first two-day period off without obligations in a row since early November. Sometimes these droughts come, but this one was a little tough to swallow. The holiday season came and went during that time, and I got a bit burnt out on the whole process (the whole process being work, holiday obligations and everything involved with the 3 holidays that fall from late November through December....)

So, the next couple of days are quiet days. Going to catch up on a few chores around the house, unless I want A&E knocking on the door asking if they can film my hoarding intervention.

____

Wandered out to another Knoxville Ice Bears game last night. It's one advantage to working closer to Knoxville. At least it's not out of the question to get up to a game, at a decent time. (Though yesterday's adventure in trying to leave my store, with people hollering questions despite my having my coat and hat on? Trying, and perfectly indicative of why I need a couple of days off. We're a grocery store, not an Emergency Room.)

The Ice Bears won, 4-2 in a game I'd call a bit chippy. Can anybody say Game Misconduct? Just hope that the SPHL refs aren't moonlighting cops. If you get mugged, they might just kick you to help the mugger out....

____

New Year's Resolution: Beer a Week

One New Year's Resolution for 2011 involved trying a new beer a week. Week one brought a bottle of Old Fezziwig Ale from a Sam Adams holiday sampler. Not bad, but not good either. Smells great, looks good. A little spicy, but it's got a caramel-y/nutmeg-y thing going on that just wasn't my cup of tea. It's a little too sweet as beers go, for my taste. Drinkable, but I'm not going out of my way for it again.

____

New Year's Resolution: Restaurant a Month

Another New Year's Resolution was to shake up where I'm eating, and try a few new places. The easily achievable goal of 1 new (to me) eatery a month. Got January in early, as my friend Shyam and I wandered north to Knoxville on a snowy evening. We caught Irish Times in Turkey Creek, which sets up as nice an Irish Pub atmosphere as you can in a strip mall bounded by Hobby Town USA and a Karate school on either side. The Guinness was tasty, as were the bangers and mash, though at the end of the day, the pricing's a bit much for what is little more than bar food.

_____

Also took in The Fighter, which was strong, with good performances from Melissa Leo (especially), Amy Adams and Christian Bale. Poor Marky Mark seemed a little overwhelmed at times when it involved emoting somewhere beyond dull apprehension. That said, I'm not sure the real Micky Ward would be able to emote well beyond dull anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home