Sunday, December 26, 2010

Professor Farnsworth's Movie Quiz

Via Sergio Leone and the Infield Fly Rule....

1) Best Movie of 2010

Bearing in mind it's on my agenda this week to see both True Grit and Black Swan, the best movie for my money was Winter's Bone, which was bleak, Southern without being mocking, and inspirational without pandering. Movies (and the world) needs more people like Ree Dolly. (BTW, John Hawkes probably slithered his way to becoming my favorite character actor, in this little flick)

2) Second-favorite Roman Polanski Movie

Rosemary's Baby, though outside of this and Chinatown, I've never really dug his movies.

3) Jason Statham or Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson

I'm gonna say Jason Statham, even though I've never really cared for him. I'll tell you why: Because he's never needed to wander too far from the action genre. The Rock's wandered near Eddie Murphy territory, where he makes far too many inoffensive movies designed to make children laugh. These have their place, mind you, and I'd never fault an actor for looking to grow. But I can't call The Tooth Fairy growth, and all I really look for in The Rock is a bad who can whoop ass like I wish I could. I'll reserve some judgment until Faster wanders its way to Netflix. He actually looks like a badass in that one...

4) Favorite movie that could be classified as a genre hybrid

First thing that pops to mind is Ghostbusters, simply for being the big budget comedy-sci-fi masterpiece that it is.

5) How important is foreknowledge of a film’s production history? Should it factor into one’s reaction to a film?

I'd say little to none. It's rare that I consider any knowledge of a flick's path to the screen need-to-know. In fact, I'd say I'd rather not know, if only to preserve all the surprise. Still, there have been instances where knowing the drama that preceded a flick have made me want to see the movie more. I'd never actually seen Easy Rider before reading some of the drama surrounding Dennis Hopper and its making....

6) William Powell & Myrna Loy or Cary Grant & Irene Dunne

Cary Grant's and Irene Dunne's comic timing together was so much better.

7) Best Actor of 2010

Going with my first instinct, I liked Kodi Smit-McPhee in Let Me In.

8) Most important lesson learned from the past decade of watching movies

Fourteen dollars is a little much to watch soulless movies through plastic glasses that give me a headache.

9) Last movie seen (DVD/Blu-ray/theater)

At home, I watched Toy Story 3, which was truly excellent, and one of the best movies of the year. I don't know how those folks at Pixar keep making tremendous movies. It almost makes me wish I'd seen it in 3-D

At the theater, an excursion to the 2-Dollar-Theatah saw us seeing Buried, which is actually not a bad flick. I'd count it as one of my favorites of this year.

11) Best under-the-radar movie almost no one else has had the chance to see

I'm telling everybody I know to see Winter's Bone, if that counts as Under the Radar.

12) Sheree North or Angie Dickinson

Angie Dickinson.

13) Favorite nakedly autobiographical movie

Clerks.

14) Movie which best evokes a specific real-life place

You know, I realized that the reason I like Bull Durham so much is that it makes me want to go to a baseball game....

15) Best Director of 2010

Debra Granik, for Winter's Bone. (Bearing in mind again, True Grit and Black Swan are this week, and I've not seen Social Network...)

16) Second-favorite Farrelly Brothers Movie

Me, Myself & Irene. That split-pee scene gets me every time. "Why am I peeing like I've been up all night have sex?" That, and the "Spartacus lookin' Motherfucker line."

17) Favorite holiday movie

Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Most tragically, I've lost my DVD copy. I think I lent it out at my old jobplace, and forgot to retrieve it from the body I loaned it to. I missed my annual Thanksgiving viewing this year. It will make next year's all the sweeter, I think.

18) Best Actress of 2010

Jennifer Lawrence, in Winter's Bone. (Go fucking see this movie, peoples...)

19) Joe Don Baker or Bo Svenson

Joe Don Baker. I admit that I had to look up Bo Svenson, and I can truly say that I appreciate this question very much.

20) Of those notable figures in the world of the movies who died in 2010, name the one you’ll miss the most

The film geek in me wants to say Dennis Hopper, but the more honest answer would be Gary Coleman.

But: You Guys! Holy Shit! Merlin Olsen died this year?

21) Think of a movie with a notable musical score and describe what it might feel like without that accompaniment.

Richard Donner's first Superman movie is a long, long flick on par with Star Trek: the Motion Picture for geekish slobber shots. John Williams score kinda greases that slide quite a bit.

22) Best Screenplay of 2010

I'm kinda gonna wander off the Winter's Bone track and say Toy Story 3

23) Movie You Feel Most Evangelistic About Right Now

Winter's Bone? What's this? Five answers?

24) Worst/funniest movie accent ever

It may seem like an odd answer, but Burt Reynolds makes me smile any time he talks in Striptease. It's a smarmy southern that's just slathered on. It's kinda the point. And well done.

25) Best Cinematography of 2010

Inception was very, very pretty.

26) Olivia Wilde or Gemma Arterton

Gemma Arterton

27) Name the three best movies you saw for the first time in 2010 (Thanks, Larry!)

Winter's Bone, Let Me In, and Let the Right One In, which isn't a 2010 flick, but I saw for the first time this year. As good as Let Me In is, Let the Right One In is a beautiful flick. I also wrote down the Joan Rivers documentary, before thinking about the question.

28) Best romantic movie couple of 2010

I have no answer.

29) Favorite shock/surprise ending

Well shit. How can I say without it being a spoiler? I've come to enjoy the end to Frank Darabont's version of The Mist, partly because it diverged so much from the story, and partly because it has such a nice "Go Screw" vibe to it.

I also kinda like Drag Me to Hell's....

30) Best cinematic reason to have stayed home and read a book in 2010

Tim Burton, once whimsical and fun, now makes formulaic "Chosen One" flicks with no soul.

31) Movies in 2011 could make me much happier if they’d only _______________

Show More Titty Get past this 3-D fad, and move on to the next thing I'll be tired of.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home