Monday, December 13, 2010

Better Than Favre

I work an average of 265 days a year.

I have not missed a shift in at least 7 years.

Doing the math, that's 1855 consecutive. Give or take. When Brett Favre does what he does, for 11 hours a day, 265 days a year? Gimme a call.

Anybody else wanna tell Mr. Favre to go screw, with his 290-something game streak ending today?

Maybe I'm just a grouchy asshole this evening, who works a bit too much, but I'm a little worn out with professional athletes, of late.

That's not to say I don't like sports. Lord knows I do. But we spend too much time with this jazz, and we pay these people entirely too much. And we treat something like news that absolutely is not. I go to work every day. EVERY day. I don't get a medal. Don't want one. Don't need one.

Look, I'm cognizant that it doesn't happen often that I get chased around my job by 300 pound men in football pads, and I might come to work a little less regularly were that the case. At least at my current pay grade. But tonight, there's something that bugs me about somebody playing a game for a living, making more in a year to do it than me, my immediate family and any 10 of my closest friends will make in the next 4 years combined, making the news because he shows up to do that every day.

I dunno. I get this way during every baseball off season, more than anything. Hearing numbers thrown out like 19 million a year kinda gets in my craw.

I get over it on Sundays, and when TeeVee deems it cool enough to show me a Predators game, I guess.

But still, to see my Twitter feed BLOW UP because Brett Favre won't be playing for the first time since Satan planted dinosaur bones to fool us? Yeah. Forget that. If only because you go to work, especially if you get to work a dream job like NFL Quarterback. You just go to work.

If people wanted to pay me WHAT I MAKE NOW to play any game, be it football, baseball, bowling or stickfighting, I'd be game, and I'd likely do it with a sprained shoulder, lacerated chin, cancer of the lips and cirrhosis of the liver.

But only if I got to have an offseason.

Yeah, and offseason would be really cool.

Even a hockey offseason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home