Monday, January 21, 2019

In which he pretends it was a snow day

My ass is on vacation.

We were initially forecast a bit of snow on Sunday.  It didn't come to fruition, but damn did it make for a cold day.  I settled in, cooked some brown stew in the crockpot, and sat my ass in front of the teevee to watch a few movies.

I watched:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  It was a second viewing.  I wanted to put a few weeks space between viewings.  My initial reaction was so positive, I'd wondered if I was just riding the high.  I wanted to see if it actually held up.  And it does, in my opinion.  Liam Neeson and Harry Melling's bit is still my favorite segment, though in a perfect world, Chelcie Ross should get some special attention for his steamrolling everybody else in his segment.  I don't know that I've ever laughed so hard....

Raiders of the Lost Ark.   Mostly for background noise while I prepared my stew fixings.  Such a wonderful flick.

Hot Tub Time Machine.  I watched this when it first came out, and I didn't care for it.  I was a little more forgiving this time, as it does have a few good gags.  An admission:  I don't care for Rob Corddry.  I don't find him funny.  Even when he's playing annoying and antagonistic roles.  He's got what somebody on a pro wrestling board once called "X-Pac Heat."  It's heat where he's dislikeable, but not engaging, and only makes you want to turn the channel

The Third Man.  I hadn't watched this one in twenty years.  Found it streaming on Netflix.  Amazing how a flick can, 70 years after its release, leave you so off balance.  I'd forgotten how great.

The Disaster Artist.  I got really worn out on James Franco a while back.  He just showed up in everything and he took shots at adapting a couple of my favorite novels (As I Lay Dying and Child of God) for the screen, with middling results.  I don't find him all that interesting or entertaining.  So I'd skipped this one.  And, well, I gotta say this was a helluva fun flick, with James and Dave Franco both hitting the nail pretty squarely on the head.

Sicario: Day of the Soldado.   I was tentative.  I loved Sicario.  I'd heard a LOT bad about this one.  And, well, there's a good bit of fear mongering in this one.  But Del Toro still carries his weight, and then some.  I didn't like it, but it was by far the worst thing I've ever seen.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home