Saturday, January 04, 2003

The last thing we need on this planet is more assholes, so I'm against the whole cloning thing.

But I'm also not a big fan of how the Clonaid Group has been booted so far out into the lunatic fringe. You can't see a report about them on the TV, read a report in the newspaper or the internet without it being somewhere mentioned that Clonaid is linked to the Raelian group, which (I'm sure you know by now) believes human life is the product of extraterrestrial genetic tampering. I'm on AOL, and the pop up news window mentions the belief in aliens in the headline. IN THE HEADLINE. One of the news readers on one of the Nashville news stations, during the inane chatter that comes between the consumer complaint segment and the sports report referred to the groups' "crazy ideas."

I hope, out of spite, that this Clonaid group did in fact clone a child. Just to show the media.

I don't know. The Conspiracy Theorist in me says the Powers That Be are doing whatever they can to boot these people over to the lunatic fringe. They're trying to discredit them as much as humanly possible. And I'm thinking that even if the genetic tests (should they come) prove that Clonaid did clone a human, this group will still be ridiculed and ostracized. Perhaps its the abortion outrage of the 21st century. Instead of fights and picket lines outside of abortion clinics, there will be skirmishes outside cloning hospitals.

It bugs the shit out of me, guys. Hegemony. The way the "normal" people are doing what they can to make Clonaid and the Raelians seem abnormal.

We possibly have what is the most controversial scientific breakthrough since World War II, but we won't focus on the science of it....instead we laugh at one of their beliefs and the fact that the spokeswoman has a funny French name.

It's not fair, and I'd expect more out of us as a society.

But then, we did buy that Big Mouth Billy Bass by the truckload.

And my name is Big Stupid Tommy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home