Monday, July 07, 2003

Corey Patterson

I guess I should note, too, that the Cubs' Corey Patterson's gonna be out for the season. We were having thundershowers yesterday during the Cubs game. The electricity blinked during Corey's at bat. And when it came back on, Corey was writhing in pain at first base, holding the knee.

Now he's out for the year. Partially torn ACL, if I heard right.

Here's what I think: Turn this situation into a positive, if it can be molded suchly. I felt like the Cubs had a log jam in the outfield. No table-setters has been my argument for them this whole year. They lose a lot of games 5-4 after they've hit 4 solo home runs. Nobody knows how to get on base or manufacture a run, it seems.

Now we have this opening in the outfield. See how many teams out there are willing to trade off a good leadoff man who can play center. The Marlins were looking to trade Lowell early on. They've backed off that proposition...but where does Juan Pierre's contract stand? What about Jenkins in Milwaukee? He's not a prototypical leadoff guy, but he gets on base and is a fairly patient hitter. He's a situational hitter, at any rate, and he's always struck me as a guy who can adapt. I think a Jenkins/Grudzielanek/Alou top of the order might work.

Ah, well. I'm running at the mouth.

Just make it into an opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home