Thursday, July 17, 2003

Diane Hutsell, 41, Truth or Consequences, NM, writes:

> I was surprised not to see any comment on BST.com on
> the following:
>
> 1.) TV talk show host Jerry Springer has officially
> filed papers to run for the US Senate for Ohio. He
> was on GMA yesterday am and seemed surprised when
> Charlie Gibson wanted to ask how he was going to get
> people to overlook the moron-ness of his show.
>

Okay guys, set your feet. Here's another uninformed Big Stupid Tommy opinion:

I'm of two minds on the subject of Jerry Springer being in the Senate.

He was Mayor of Cincinnati and he is an (semi-)accomplished journalist. So he's got the background for it.

His show might hurt him the the way Diane mentioned. People may stare down their noses at his syndicated television programme and he might not be taken seriously by the press or voters.

But he's also not your traditional candidate. All elections are nowadays are popularity contests. Who looks good on TV? Who gives the best sound bites? And most importantly: Who's recognizable? People know who Jerry (Jerry! Jerry!) is. People watch his show. People buy his videos.

Are they the same people that get out and vote? That's the important question. Probably not, is my first inclination. But if Springer could somehow get his audience motivated enough to make it to the polls....

Also, there are people (not unlike myself) who would like to see the system derailed somewhat, and would vote for Jerry (Jerry! Jerry!) along those lines.

I'd vote for him.

What it would come down to for Jerry (Jerry! Jerry!) is whether he would get enough voters out to support him. To do that, if he would have to turn enough heads with those voters who are initially undecided and not already firmly set against him.

Because he's gonna have his fanbase support. And he's gonna have an already set group against him. And my instincts tell me that the two groups are roughly the same size. I have no evidence to support this theory, but I'll fight you nonetheless.

That being said, here's the other mind.

I'd be a little ashamed of any constituency that voted Jerry Springer into office. Because you'd know that his election would be due in large part to the popularity of his television show, and not on the strength of any political or philosophical leaning of Jerry (Jerry! Jerry!).

Also: Would Steve still get to be his security guy? He'd be neat to have on the Senate floor. Breaking shit up between John "If he's on my lawn again I'll shoot him" McCain and Hillary "He Ain't My Baby-Daddy" Clinton. Tackling Teddy Kennedy when he goes to attack Bill Frist.

> 2.) Rush Limbaugh is joining ESPN's Sunday NFL
> Countdouwn as a host and commentator starting in
> Sept. (or don't you follow football?)
>

Of course I follow football. I'm from Tennessee. I was in Football class fifth period my Freshman year with Ms. Diane West. I minored in English and Football my first go-round at MTSU.

I don't see what Rush can add from a football point of view. I mean, I understand that he brings with him an established following (kind of like Jerry), but how many of them are going to watch a show about football unless they're football fans?

But then, I've never been impressed by the Dittoheads. Maybe they'll follow him to football just as mindlessly as they follow him on the radio dial.

Well. Them's my thoughts. Thanks Ms. Hutsell for writing. Your check is in the mail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home