Monday, July 21, 2003

Here is a short list of my favorite people that I saw yesterday when I went to the Tennessee Aquarium. In no particular order, though I've saved the best for last:

1. The family who was looking into the Nickajack Lake display, and pointing out the different kinds of fish they've caught. I overheard at one point one asking another "Doesn't that look like what we caught over next to the dam?" and the reply "Yeah. That tasted good."

2. The guy who kept trying to take pictures of the fish with his girlfriend/wife posed sexily next to the tank. I expect I'll hear from Steven say these were posted at the Fish Geeks site he reads.

3. Somebody was farting. They weren't my favorite. But I liked the two guys next to me at a display. One asked in a whisper that was meant to be quiet but had to be overheard over all the people: "Did you fart?" and the reply from the other guy, also in a very loud whisper: "No."

4. There was a display where you could touch a sturgeon. And there was a little kid who was complaining about coming to the aquarium when he could have been at a movie. And he touched the sturgeon. And was completely unimpressed. And then he dipped his hand back into the water. And all four sturgeon in the little pond came quickly to him. And he ran away, disgusted.

5. My Dad, who thought it was funny to trap me in the revolving door.

6. The guy who overestimated the distance between his head and the aquarium glass at the Gulf of Mexico Display. He hit the glass hard.

7. The pipefish from the Australian reef who camouflage themselves by looking like seaweed. They aren't people, but I liked them a lot. Also, the spider-crabs. And the beluga sturgeon and the snapping turtles.

And finally

8. There are a lot of narrow corridors in the museum. Space is a consideration, but if I were planning, I'd have kept from doing that as much as possible.

And there were a lot of people with strollers there.

We're going down one corridor, and there's a couple with a stroller in front of us. And we reach the revolving door that will take us to the next exhibit.

The guy with the stroller (which is empty, by the way) is deciding whether or not he can fit through the revolving door with the stroller. Despite the big sign right next to the door saying "take strollers through handicapped entrance," which, incidentally, is right next to the revolving door.

So he wedges himself and the stroller in the little compartment. He maneuvers and he crams and he tries to shimmy his way around with the door. For about twenty seconds he tries.

It is not until he looks up and sees about six of the 30 or so people who've gotten backed up in the little tiny corridor who are pointing at the handicapped door.

As he pulls the stroller out of the door, he protests: "But I'm not handicapped."

Where's Bill Engvall when you need him?

The aquarium is pretty cool. I'd like to go when it's a little less crowded. Or at least when the largest portion of the clientele hasn't been brought there against their will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home