Wednesday, July 23, 2003

The Next Ron Santo....v. 98.0

In the midst of the Cubs trading for Aramis Ramirez, I found this page on the Cubs 3d basemen since Ron Santo.

And it made me smile. I've been a Cubs fan since 1984, and in that time, I can remember a few of the second (or forty-fifth) comings of Ron Santo. My personal favorite was Steve Buechele, who played third in the early nineties for the Cubbies. I thought he'd stick on a while. And I was kind of high on Kevin Orie, too, in the late nineties. I always liked Ron "the Penguin" Cey, too. But he was old when the Cubs got him....

I think my least favorite in the last 20 years was Keith Moreland. Or maybe Vance Law. Can't rightly guess why, though.

I hope Aramis sticks. He's got some pop in his bat, and despite his multitudinous errors, he's got soft hands and a nice arm at third. I think the errors are mental. I wonder if the Cubs can make him focus a little more. He's 25. He has all the potential in the world....more than Kevin Orie, Craig Worthington, or Cole Liniak ever had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home