Thursday, September 11, 2003

Christian Bale is Batman

MTV News and Variety are reporting that Christian Bale has been tapped to play Batman in Chris Nolan's upcoming Batman picture.

"What I see in Christian is the ultimate embodiment of Bruce Wayne," Nolan said in a press statement. "He has exactly the balance of darkness and light that we were looking for."

Bale's not a bad pick, now that I think of it. Personally, when casting the movie in my head, Bale's name never really popped up. He was believably psycho in American Psycho.

I think what brings down a lot of superhero movies is this constant urge to establish the dichotomy between the separate worlds of the hero's alter egos.

I mean, if you could get past the concept of a guy wearing an elaborate costume to fight crime, I think it's possible to make an entire movie about the Batman fighting the Joker without having to look at the world of Bruce Wayne. Especially with four Batman movies having come out in the past 14 years to have hammered that part of the story to death.

As a film maker, I would assume that, by now, a lot of the movie going public is media savvy enough to know Batman's back story, if only because of the four movies that have come out in just the past 14 years, along with three different cartoon shows he's been part of.

But again, when I assume, I make an ass out of you and me.

I'd be pissed if I were you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home