Sunday, October 12, 2003

The Read List

First three entries are up for the Read List.

Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World
Dennis Lehane's Mystic River
Ferrol Sams' The Widow's Mite

Again, my goal is to read 100 books from October 1, 2003 to September 30, 2004.

Doing the math, That's right an average of right around 2 books a week for a year.

It's been suggested that it would be easy if I read like 80 and 100 paged kids books.

Which reminds me of something the Evil Hippy
once spoke of. The public library of the small town we're both from had a little contest a couple of summers where you would read books, and for every book you read, you got to fill your name out on a cut out of a whale, or one of the Wild Things from Maurice Sendak's book, and the librarian would tape your name up on the wall.

I had a few books up on the wall. But I remember going one morning that summer, and seeing a boy and girl (siblings, I'd assume) grab a handful of the little kids books out of the shelves, read them, and then go to the desk and get a dozen cutouts to write their names on. They ended up winning the contest. And they'd read the equivalent of Harold and His Purple Crayon 200 times.

So, I won't do that.

I don't think I'll even hit my goal...I'm a book behind pace already.

But 100's a nice round number.

And the goal is not to read 100 books, necessarily, as it is to just read more than I have been. And perhaps embiggen my mind a little.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home