Saturday, October 11, 2003

Red Sox/Yankees

It's great that in this day and age, when players switch teams, when nobody seems to have any loyalty whatsoever in baseball, that things change all the time. It's great that two teams can hold a rivalry all this time. It's great that the Sox and Yankees are always hot at each other for one reason or another.

But as entertaining as a brouhaha between the two can be, this little on-field shoving match they're having in the fourth inning is a little sad.

Pedro's not been sharp, and I think the ball he threw behind Garcia slipped.

And Manny Ramirez has all the maturity of a 4-year-old. The ball was up in the zone, and nowhere near your melon.

And it's important to keep in mind that the umpire is not obligated to throw anybody out based on his warnings. It's based all on his opinion as to whether something is intentional. It's at his discretion. He doesn't have to throw Roger anywhere. (Although wouldn't it be fitting if this were Roger's last game, and he gets tossed in the fourth?)

Chris Meyers just said what I wrote. My apartment must be bugged.

Pedro and Zim?

That's rough. Don Zimmer's like everyone's teddy bear. He's near and dear to a lot of Cubs fans, but baseball in general seems to want to bestow some manner of saintly and huggable qualities to the man.

And you got to remember that he's 72 years old.

But he went after Pedro. He even said that to somebody in the dugout after the fracas. "I went after him." That's a rock and a frigging hard place if ever I've seen one. Because Pedro knows all this. It looked like he tried to extricate himself quickly and cleanly from the situation, but failed.

This is neither here nor there. But has anybody else seen the photo of Zim and Jerome Holtzman on the back of the Holtzman Reader? I really like that picture.

And can I just say Go Sox?

Haven't weighed in too much on the A.L. side of things, except to say I hates me some Yankees. But I like the Sox. Even if they have Pete Martinez and Manny "I thought it was get a cold drunk" Ramirez.

You know where my N.L. loyalties lie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home