Sunday, November 23, 2003

How about those Titans?

I'm in a Pick'em League with some friends. You pick the winners of each week's NFL games, assigning a confidence point level to each game.

My problem is that I have the singular ability to jinx any team I pick the highest level of confidence. For example, I picked the Chiefs last week to beat the Bengals, and of course, the Chiefs got their first loss of the season. Out of the previous 11 weeks, the team I pick highest has lost 9 times. I'm not kidding.

This week, against my better judgment, I picked the Titans.

My rule of thumb is to never go overboard when the Titans are involved. But this week, it seemed so simple. The old joke: "Could the lady who dropped her eleven kids off at the Georgia Dome please pick them up? They're beating the Falcons 21 to 13."

I got up and turned on the TV. Just in time to see the Falcons score their first touchdown. Then CBS starts giving stats about how many games the Titans have gone without letting an opponent score in the first quarter. And by the end of the first quarter, the Titans are down 21-0.

I talk to Julie, who is equally chagrined.

I decide to go back to sleep.

I get back up before the Simpsons, and turn on ESPN gamenight....and who came back to win 38-31?

That'll learn me to go to sleep when I'm so tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home