Friday, November 07, 2003

The Producers

Max Bialystock: Roger, did you have a chance to read "Springtime for Hitler?"

Roger De Bris: [emerges from behind a partition wearing a dress] Remarkable, remarkable! A stunning piece of work.

Leo Bloom: [under his breath] Max...he's wearing a dress.

Max Bialystock: No kidding.

Roger De Bris: Did you know, I never knew that the Third Reich meant Germany. I mean it's just drenched with historical goodies like that... Oh dear, you're staring at my dress. I should explain. We are going to the choreographer's ball tonight and there's a prize for the best costume.

Carmen Giya: And we always win!

Roger De Bris: I don't know about tonight. I'm supposed to be the Grand Duchess Anastasia, but I think I look more like Tugboat Annie. What do you think, Mr. Bloom?

Leo Bloom: ... Where do you keep your wallet?


Holy Shit! Why didn't somebody tell me The Producers was on TV tonight?

The Mel Brooks movie is one of the best movie comedies ever, and one that is overlooked quite a bit, especially in the face of the frenzy brought on by the Nathan Lane/Matthew Broderick performances on Broadway.

As for the film?

It is one of the finest moments of cinematic physical comedy when Zero Mostel's Max Bialystock tries to exit the elevator at Roger DeBris' home. I can't do it justice, except to say that at no point has anybody rebounded off of a wall any more entertainingly.

Gene Wilder? I'm wet! I'm wet! I'm Hysterical....and I'm wet!

And Kenneth Mars has never been more inspired.

I love this movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home