Monday, December 08, 2003

Arbitration Day

The Cubs ended up gettting Mark Grudzielanek and Tom Goodwin under contract, and letting Kenny Lofton go by the time Sunday's arbitration deadline go by.

Goodwin's good to have on the bench, and you can't really argue with the numbers Grudz put up last year--you just have to hope it wasn't one of those once every three seasons things.

I'm disappointed to see Kenny go. I thought a lot of what the Cubs lacked early in the season last year was a couple of legitimate table setters up high in the lineup, and when they picked up Lofton from the Pirates, they got one of the best. But he wants to start, and he doesn't see that opportunity with the Cubs. I'm thinking with Patterson's gimpy knee, Alou's gimpy legs and Sammy's gimpy self, Lofton would have gotten a bit of start time. But I understand his decicision.

Around the league....Pudge ended up not staying with the Marlins. No Maddux with the Braves. And I think I saw the Red Sox let Todd Walker go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home