Wednesday, January 14, 2004

The Cubs Make Maddux an Offer

The Cubs have offered a two-year deal to Greg Maddux. I'm of a couple of minds on the thing.

Assuming the rotation of Prior/Wood/Clement/Zambrano's pretty much set in place, Greg Maddux is better than Juan Cruz or whomever they'd want to put in that fifth start's spot. What's more, even at 37/38, he's a whole head, shoulders and abdomen better than Shawn "Losing Pitcher" Estes.

(As an added bonus, Cruz could probably then be packaged up in a deal to bring in, I dunno, a shortstop that hits better than .228, doesn't strike out 123 times and whose glove doesn't contribute to the single most traumatic inning of baseball in this millennium--or maybe a catcher who can call a good game and hit a little)

I saw how much the Cubs offered (6-7 million per, as opposed to the 10 he and the Agent from Hell were asking). Part of me says that's a bit of a lowball offer, but then I get to thinking about the fact that Maddux wanted a Clemens-like deal....one where he can spend time with his family (play golf) as much as possible...and one that would spare him the indignity of charting pitches.

Now, ordinarily, I'd say that part of Maddux's value as a pitcher is that of a teacher and a mentor. Even if he's not a power pitcher like Prior or Wood, or an adrenaline junkie like Zambrano (whose spellcheck alternative on blogger is "chambermaid"), Maddux knows how to read batters and knows as well as anyone how to control the flow of the game--a couple of things that are immensely valuable.

(As an aside, if he Maddux could teach Kerry "Future Cyborg Assassin" Wood that it's not as important to humiliate the batter as it is just to get them out....a groundout's as good as a K....that would be worth his asking price right there).

I felt like any deal which would let Maddux spend a bunch of time away from the team would negate whatever value he had as a mentor, and I didn't see the point in ponying up to whatever amount of money he was asking, if he'd not be helping some of these younger pitchers.

But maybe Hendry's offer is something of a start of a talk....you can spend time with your golf clubs (play family)....but we can't pay you the kind of money you're asking if you're not going to be on the bench talking Zambrano down from his sugar high.....

Bill McCabe wasn't happy that his Mets had also shown an interest in Maddux, citing the Brian Hoch article that said if the Mets thought they were a player away from contending, that player shouldn't be thought to be Maddux.....

I think the Cubs and Mets would utilize Maddux differently, were he to sign with either team (Bill or another Mets fan, please correct me if I'm wrong). I think the Mets would expect Maddux to play a vital, keystone role in their rotation. I think the Cubs would like to use him largely at the back end of the rotation....which is not a commentary on his age or declined skills as much as it is the talent and youth they have at the top.....

I don't think he's at the point where he can be a keystone in a rotation, as I think the Mets would need him.

I think he's extremely valuable to a young pitching staff. It just depends on if he'd be willing to play that mentor role or not.

Finally, and this just comes from the gut....I'd like to see Maddux in a Cubs uni. He was up there with Grace, Hawk and Sandberg as favorite Cubs when he went down south. I just liked the way he played ball, and how he managed to be the guy teams didn't want to face, even though he looks as intimidating as a librarian. I've never really begrudged him for wanting to get market money...I've always begrudged his agent and Larry Himes for the shitass way they went about negotiating it....which ultimately led to Maddux bolting for Atlanta.

If they get Maddux, I won't bitch and moan too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home