Monday, January 12, 2004

While I Was Sleeping

Well, the Rocket's coming back to play with the Astros. See, early on in his career, I kind of started liking Roger. I don't know. I can't explain it any more than I liked the way he controlled the pace of the game, even as a kid I appreciated that (I think my Mom's father explained that to me while visiting my grandparents in New Jersey). But I especially appreciated Roger after Dan Duquette gave up on him, and he kicked ass with the Blue Jays.

Then, I started hating him, because he went and played for the Evil Empire. And then I hated him more, for the whole Piazza incident....I think he way he should have handled that was the next regular season meeting was that when Mike gets up to bat, put another one up around his chin (not hitting)...the two would have fought and I think the whole situation would have been over and done with.

But then, I started liking Roger, as he seemed to play this whole retirement season pretty classfully. And I was even willing to give him his props during the Series, as were the Florida fans by giving him his Standing Ovation.

Well....Roger shit on me, the fans, and the really nice baseball moment (which seem to be getting fewer and more far between lately) by announcing he's coming back to the Astros.

Rocket....you're the in National League now. This is where real men play real baseball, not this pansy-ass mess where a big fat guy with irons hands who can hit it a mile hits in your place. Let's see how intimidating you are when you gotta step to the plate every couple innings and face the music, son.

Don't much say I care much for Houston, either. Bunch of circus animals down there, what with their Andy Pettitte and their Wade Miller and Roy Oswalt and Roger Clemens rotation.

Ultimately, I can't blame Roger. He always said that he wanted to spend more time with his family...and now the Astros are giving him a chance to have his cake (baseball cake) and eat it, too (eat his family), since they've informally agreed to structure his turn in the rotation so that he won't have to travel much.

Plus, he's signed like a 10-year services contract for after this coming season, which will be good for the Astros, to have a Hall of Famer in their front office doing whatever (emptying trash, going to Seven-Eleven openings) in the name of the team. And you can't argue with the hometown thing.

Now....here's hoping for the Cubs sake that he puts the hammer down on everybody else, especially the Cardinals (sorry Len), but kind of shows his age whenever the Astros and the Cubs hook up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home