Monday, February 23, 2004

Books

About a week ago, I asked for a few recommendations for something to read. I appreciate all the kind suggestions...

Bill McCabe suggested a couple of biographies on The Illustrious T.R....

Deb suggested Da Vinci's Code, which I read just a few weeks ago....I enjoyed it. She also suggested Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale, a fantasy...it's been a while since I've gotten into a good fantasy. I may have to give it a look.

Diane suggested Lies My Teacher Told Me, and we've agreed to a Gregory Maguire literary exchange that will benefit both parties without too much collateral damage...the next time I'm over that way.

Haws suggested Les Miserables, and touched off a small debate over its quality.....I've read it once, but it was one of those assigned things, so I was mired quite a bit in my resentment at being told what to do, so it's possible I didn't get as much out of it as I could have....

Danielle suggested a little Bill Bryson and Gaston LeRoux's Phantom of the Opera....I've had several people say they enjoyed Bill Bryson to me. Next time I'm in a book store.

Lisa recommended Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris...that's a funny-ass book. They should use that one as a blurb on the next printing.

Eric told me I should read William Manchester's Goodbye Darkness, and that I can't go wrong with that one. I haven't read anything on WW2 in a little while...I think I'll look at this one when I get a chance.

And over the e-mail, a Riceville Elementary School Alumnus suggested I check out Agee on Film, since I enjoy Pauline Kael's work so much.

Paul, who has gotten quite a bit hostile toward me lately, said I should stick to coloring books and Sunday Paper coupons.

And the Filthy Hippy suggested Devil in the White City, which he's just read.

But here's the decision.

Emily suggested Hitchhiker's Guide the Galaxy, a move seconded by Gunny.

But I've already read Hitchhiker's Guide. An old, musty paperback copy. And it's one of the few books that actually makes me laugh out loud. Mr. Adams had him one of those senses of humor I've heard so much about...plus the ability to string four or six words together in a pleasing manner.

I've never read, though, any of the sequels/other stories in the Hitchhiker's universe. Even though somebody got me the big collected More Than Complete Hitchhiker's Guide for my birthday last year.

So. Starting this morning, when I head to sleepyland, I'm going to go with The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

And I'll look at a few others on that list, too. And if you find something else, just let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home