Tuesday, April 27, 2004

TV Tuesday

TV Tuesday

TV Tuesday. Because I'm afraid not to.

Comedy Central unveiled it's list of the 100 Greatest Stand-Up Comedians of All Time last week. (The list was quite subjective, I don't know who voted, no one asked me.) But it was a fun series of shows to watch. They are replaying it endlessly if you'd like to catch it. You can view their list here, if you'd like some help coming up with names for this week's questions!

1. Who is your favorite stand-up comedian of all time?


George Carlin. Whose comedy is a combination of irritation bordering on outrage at we really aren't living up to the ideals we set for ourselves, and , and just plain goofy shit, all of which has had a spark of thought put into it. My favorite one-liner from Carlin?

Sties are caused by watching dogs shit.

I was reading Braindroppings in the back of class before class one day. And I read that, and all through the class, I was fighting the insane giggles caused by that statement.

Other favorites: Henry Philips, Larry the Cable Guy, Lewis Black and Mitch Hedburg.

2. Which one could you do without? (Not your type of humor, or just plain stupid!)

Any comic whose biggest schtick is based on their racial experience. It's just not funny anymore. D.L. Hughley, Rodney Carrington. Even George Lopez. How different race groups see their race. How their race group sees others. I mean, a lot of their "universal experiences" aren't universal. It just seems like lazy comedy, to me.

And I've never really thought Tim Allen was all that funny. Same type of thing. Men vs. women.

3. Which comedian do you think has gone on to have a great career aside from doing stand-up?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Jerry Seinfeld had a TV show which I can't remember the name of. Also Bill Cosby, in a show I can't remember the name of. Bob Newhart had a couple or three shows, none of which I can remember the name of. Andy Griffith? He was an actor first, but he had some really neat anecdotal type stand up. He was also in a show which I cannot remember the name of.

~Bonus~ If you went to a comedy club on amateur night, and they gave you some jokes and a microphone, would you go onstage?

I've tried a couple of times making people laugh from a public stage. And it didn't go well.

I have incredible admiration who can get up on stage and make a lot of people laugh.

Thanks for playing - you are one wild and crazy guy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home