Thursday, August 12, 2004

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday

Theater Thursday, because auctions are cool, and you should bid on them.

Week 13 - What's Old is New Again

Remakes - we see them more and more frequently. Taking an old movie and completely reshooting it with a new cast, new effects, new styles and even new genres can be a hit or miss proposition. This summer we've seen several remakes already, from The Stepword Wives (original and remake) to The Manchurian Candidate (original and remake), plus there's even an Alfie remake in production (original and remake).

1) What is your favorite remake of an older film? Did it actually improve on the original?


I really like both versions of Ocean's Eleven. I don't know that the Soderbergh remake improved on the Rat Pack version, I think each has its own vibe, and I enjoy each pretty much equally.

2) What remake was handled so poorly even if the original was not great it would've seemed Oscar-worthy?

I really, really hated Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes remake. I'm not head over heels about the originals, but at least they don't over-reach their grasp. I don't know how a movie can try to do too much at the same time, yet be so uninspired. It was disappointing, as well, because Burton's movies are generally so stylistic (sometimes they lack substance, but the style usually balances that deficiency out for me)....but his Planet of the Apes was so, I dunno. Mediocre? I watched that, and it seemed like everyone there was just cashing their checks.

Also, the remake of Miracle on 34th Street that came out a while back? That was pretty bad, but only because it sought to update one of the greatest Christmas movies ever.

3) Are there any classic films you feel would cause the fabric of space/time to rip apart were a remake made of it?

I remember reading rumors that they're looking to make an updated The Day the Earth Stood Still, under the same title and everything. That would bother me very much.
Luckily, I haven't heard much on that front lately, so maybe they've dropped the issue.

BONUS) What film would you most like to see remade, and what would be your dream cast?

Eh. Can't think of any. I'm the dumbest man in America this morning. The other morning, I put my finger on the coffee pot's hotplate. That sucked.

Post your answers or a link to your site in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home