Monday, May 23, 2005

Ladders

Ladders

Okay, so I just got up a few minutes ago, and I'm seeing this commercial on the TV for the Little Giant Ladder System, which is a ladder that folds into several different positions. You can use it in the house, out of the house.

Fold it one way to use as a step ladder.

Fold it another to be able to reach the tallest guttering on your house

You can use it as scaffolding!

The commercial tells me to Imagine what I can do with this ladder, and it shows a constructive, driven feller doing things like painting the top of a wall in a room, then cleaning the gutters, and then hanging Christmas lights.

Imagine what you can do!

Personally? I'd imagine that all those things look like work.

Sounds to me like, if I don't have a multi-folding ladder, I have the perfect excuse not to paint the ceiling, clean the gutters or hang the Christmas lights.

If I were marketing this amazing folding ladder (which advertises itself as being 24 tools in one), I'd market to the viewers at home that not having a ladder doesn't keep you from having to do these chores. I'd drive that point home.

Here's how I'd market it:

The commercial opens with a voice over: "You know you have work to do, right?"

I'd show a feller, jeans and a t-shirt, trying to watch the game in his recliner.

"Yeah, right," he says, as he cracks a beer and sticks a hand in the front of his pants, Al Bundy style.

Then, I'd show his wife screaming about getting the chores done.

"Clean the gutter!" she'd say.

And you see this guy traipsing around the house, and pulling the big giant ladder out of the garage.

You see him finish the difficult chore, perhaps nearly falling in the process, and then sit back down.

His wife then screams "Paint the Ceiling!"

This feller, whom we haven't named yet but whom we will henceforth refer to as Cecil, wanders to the garage, gets the big tall ladder, won't have it fit in the house.

"You idiot!" his wife says.

Then, Cecil gets the smaller ladder. He paints the ceiling.

As Cecil sits in his recliner again, he hears "Hang the Christmas lights!"

Cecil gets the small ladder. As he climbs, he pulls a Clark Griswold and breaks a window.

"You imbecile!" his wife yells.

The next shot you see is Cecil getting red faced and angry. Then he runs violently, with malice on his face, off screen.

And the very next shot you see is Cecil, behind bars.

The voiceover says "If he had the Little Giant Ladder System, Cecil wouldn't be facing the death penalty today..."

Then you show all handy uses for the Little Giant Ladder System.

"If he had the Little Giant Ladder System," the voiceover would say as the shot goes to Cecil in the recliner, "Cecil would be sitting here,"

And the voiceover would finish:"Instead of here." The last shot of the commercial should be Cecil being strapped into the electric chair.

I really think that would drive the point home, just how much we need a Little Giant Ladder System.

Me? I've got a folding ladder system. And I've never been on death row. Not once.

Though it's not a Little Giant Ladder System.

On the strength of my own advertisement, I'm thinking of getting one. Just in case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home