Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Wednesday baseball thought

Wednesday baseball thought

A random thought or two before I go wandering into my day.

I still hate interleague play. Blue Jays and Cubs? Rockies and White Sox? Braves and Angels? Yeah. These are matchups that people are just frothing at the bit to see. I haven't seen any attendance numbers or comparisons, but the crowds I'm seeing on TV don't seem particularly larger than your normal midweek crowds. Of course, it's hard to judge.

Speaking of the Braves and Angels, (since Cubs commentary on this site leads only to bad things for the Cubbies) I had no problem with Darin Erstad's hit on Johnny Estrada the other night. Erstad didn't do anything maliciously that I could see. He came in hard, like so many ballplayers are afraid to nowadays. I think Erstad took advantage of that last fact, because Estrada wasn't ready for any kind of hit. If he were ready for a hit, Estrada wouldn't have been sticking his chin out there so far....

Steven, who finally got a new computer, disagrees.

Conversely, I do feel Horacio Ramirez was completely justified in letting Erstad know that it wasn't forgotten by putting one behind Erstad's back the next night. Protect your players. I'm all about that. I just hate seeing these umpires jump into the situation so quickly, warning benches and whatnot. The time to jump in would be if the Angels played gotyaback the next inning.

And this brings me back again to the interleague play. The Braves won't see the Angels or Darin Erstad again unless both make the World Series, or more to the point, Darin Erstad won't see the Braves, Johnny Estrada or Horacio Ramirez. There's no reason Erstad shouldn't go balls to the wall when playing the Braves. There's no reason he couldn't play a little dirty, because there's no reason to look out for retaliation from the Braves. Interleague play lacks what I see as a check and balance built in the schedule. Outside of postseason play, or Erstad moving to another team, the Braves won't have to deal with the Angels again until, what, the 2008 season?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home