Monday, July 04, 2005

Happy Birthday, America

Happy Birthday, America

America is 229 years old today, which is 1603, or so, in dog years.

I got America a new sleeping bag, and a propane tank for its Coleman lantern. I expect America to let me use said camping supplies.

The Hot Dog eating contest is being held at Coney Island this afternoon. I've often wondered just how many hot dogs I could eat in that time.

How much money is on the line? Seems like it's not a whole bunch. Something like a grand? I'm going on my own shoddy memory, and I couldn't find any reference in my short search.

Note: ESPN just said champ Kobayashi pulled down a half a million bucks last year. A half a million. Dollars. American. And I work 45-50 hours a week. Damn. Did I get into the wrong business....

ESPN also said that the winner gets a year's supply of hot dogs.

Jeez. I sit down and eat what would be, for me, a year's supply of hot dogs, and what do I get as a prize? A year's supply of hot dogs.


But then, there is a mustard yellow title belt. That would be pretty sweet. I've said before that carrying a title belt on your shoulder instantly garners you respect. Think of how much respect you'd get if you carried a Hot Dog title belt in on your shoulder.

I've wondered before just how many hot dogs I could eat if I were being placed under great stress. Say, terrorists had kidnapped my family, and said they'd execute them unless I won the hot dog eating contest.

I could eat a bunch of Hot Dogs, if lives were on the line.

But upwards of 50?

Could I eat 53 1/2 hot dogs like Takeru Kobayashi? I don't know. I kinda doubt it. A caller on a Jay Mohr guest hosted Jim Rome show had a great line once upon a time, saying he didn't know if he could feed 50 hot dogs through a wood chipper in 12 minutes.

Anyway.

I hope everybody has a happy fourth. Watch some baseball. Eat some barbecue. Give America a Birthday Wedgie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home