Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Book Meme....

Book Meme....

Dude, I just ate entirely too much chicken, cheese, onions, mushrooms and rice. Gotta learn to push my big ass away from the table. I feel like a weeble.

Since I ain't gonna get anything constructive done in the next little while, I'll do the book meme, which I saw at Sheila's:

Review the following list of books. Boldface the books you've read, italicize those you might read, cross out the ones you won’t, put an asterisk beside the ones on your bookshelves, and place brackets around the ones you’ve never even heard of.


The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown)
*The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
*The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
*The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
*To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
(I first read this one in one night before a test, junior year of high school...I've re-read it twice since...I'm continually impressed with how simply written it is, yet how powerfully it comes across every time)
The Time Traveler’s Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)

*Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (J. K. Rowling)
The Life of Pi (Yann Martel) (I got lent this one a while back. I won't lie to you...there's a good chance I'll never read this one, but I won't say never...)
*Animal Farm: A Fairy Story (George Orwell)
*Catch 22 (Joseph Heller)
*The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien)
*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Mark Haddon) (I highly recommend this one....it's one of those that grew on me very much after I read it...)
*Lord of the Flies (William Golding)

*Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
*1984 (George Orwell)
*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (J. K. Rowling)

*One Hundred Years of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)(Working at Goodwill all those years ago has left me still with several books that I own but haven't read. It oughta be a crime to let a bookworm work around 99 cent books in a college town...)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
*The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) (My friend Jill lent me this...another one I recommend highly...)
[The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)]
*Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut)(Another one that always surprises me, with how simply [and amusingly] it's written)
The Secret History (Donna Tartt)
Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
*The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C.S. Lewis) (My favorite book for a time, growing up)
Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides)
[Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell)] (Seems like I have heard of this, but it's not ringing a bell)
Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
Atonement (Ian McEwan)
[The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafon)]
The Old Man and the Sea (Ernest Hemingway) (I cannot put into words how overrated I've always found Hemingway)
The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
(I borrowed this from a friend in high school...another one that I read in less than a day...)
The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
Dune (Frank Herbert) (Another one that's just entirely overrated....let's pack a short story's worth of interesting story into a few hundred pages....)
Sula (Toni Morrison)
*Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier) (It sounds hypocritical for me to holler about how Frank Herbert loved his own voice, when that's exactly what I love about Cold Mountain...it's 20 pages of plot and 100 pages of character study packed into 280 pages...yet somehow, it's not what Charles Frazier says, but how he says it....maybe it is hypocritical, but I'm at peace with it)
The Alchemist (Paulo Coehlo)
[White Teeth (Zadie Smith)] (Another one that it seems like I should have heard of, but it's not ringing a bell)
The House of Mirth (Edith Wharton)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home