Friday, December 08, 2006

Just a thought

Just a thought

Reason #1 why I hate baseball's off season? And really, any sport's offseason? Because you can't hear about a player, it seems, in the offseason without hearing his salary, whether it's a new one or the old one.

The money is anough to piss you off, so I'm not going to grouse too much about that. When the posterboy for mediocrity in America's pastime are pulling in five year contracts worth 50-million dollars based on a decent season and perhaps one highlight reel catch, it makes it difficult enough to trudge into work for the 45-50 hours a week I do for much, much, much, much less than 10 million dollars a year.

And I'm not even one of the goofs working 2 jobs. Think about the guys pulling down 60, 70 or 80 hours a week to make ends meet.

It kinda makes me sick, and turns me off pro sports in general.

I hate the offseason. None of the actual game being played to distract me from the fact that some goof with an IQ of 49 who can throw the ball 99 miles an hour is making more in two thirds of an inning than I'll make in 2007.

But it's not about the money, truly. I can get past that. Like I said, once they play the game, I tend to forget it.

If it came down to it, I'd be willing to accept making singular percentages of what a pro athlete makes.

If I could get a four month offseason every year.

Dude. Sometimes, I think I'd be willing to give back a third of my salary, if I could get a four month offseason, and be guaranteed a job when I came back.

I'd even take that junk where I could be traded.

Unless it was to Milwaukee, Kansas City, Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay. I won't play there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home