Wednesday, April 25, 2007

We are the World

We are the World

I've probably posted this exact post before, because this is a problem I have every six months or so. Thank Jeebus for the interweb and Youtube. I've gotten it stuck in my head, and I'm doing what I can to purge it...



Just a couple thoughts:

If there were a Battle Royale amongst all those featured in the video, I think Stevie Wonder would last longer than most. I'm not saying he'd win the thing (and it wouldn't surprise me if somehow he and Ray Charles took each other out), but he'd last a long, long time.

Quincy Jones would win that Battle Royale, though. I have no doubt of that.

I'd known who Nicole Richie was for a long time (at least as long as she was a d-lister) before I knew that Lionel was her father. I was rather dumbfounded when I learned that. Moreso than I should have been. My mind gave it a weight it really didn't deserve, and I really shouldn't have missed all those days of work because of it.

Holy Christ this is a long song. I wonder if those middle of the night deejays think to play this one in the middle of the night when they need to step out to smoke and take a whiz.

I'd never known the parallel Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan run in my personal view of music--love listening to it, hate watching them perform. For different reasons, but I hate actually seeing them perform that music.

Any time there's a group together like this, it makes me wonder if there's somebody there that they universally dislike, without conferring on the matter or saying so out loud. For some reason, I gotta think it's Kenny Rogers.

I also wonder how much political jockeying there was to sing certain lines of the song.

I won't lie to you. There are a few people in the video that I only have half a clue who they are; a couple I have no clue.

I do know Dan Aykroyd, though. In my mind's movie of the afterlife, I've cast Dan Aykroyd as St. Peter.

(There, I've played the song 3 times. Hopefully that's enough to get the song out of my head....)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home