Wednesday, May 16, 2007

In which I am tagged...

In which I am tagged....

A food meme? Alrighty.

I was tagged by Alice, who was tagged by Joe.....

The rules:

1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the city/state and country you’re in.

Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
Selba (Jakarta, Indonesia)
Olivia (London, England)
ML (Utah, USA)
Lotus (Toronto, Canada)
tanabata (Saitama, Japan)
Andi (Dallas [ish], Texas, United States)
Todd (Louisville, Kentucky, United States)
miss kendra (los angeles, california, u.s.a)
Jiggs Casey (Berkeley, CA, USA! USA! USA!)
Tits McGee (New England, USA)
Joe (NE Tennessee, USA)
10K Monkeys (Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA)
Big Stupid Tommy (Athens, Tennessee, USA)

2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.

I'm gonna have to stretch--my neck of the woods is eaten up with Hardee's and Subways. While those places truly are godly and wonderful places to eat, it doesn't do much for the geographic identity. So, I'll start local for my five, and stay as local as I can, but the circle may widen as far north as Knoxville or south at Chattanooga before I'm done....

1. Legends...not to be confused with the sporting good store of the same name, whose signs appear on I-75 and 411, here in Athens...Legends does a helluva good messy hamburger. There may not be a lot I know in life, but hella-messy hamburgers are tops on the list. And Legends does a fine, fine job. They're only open for lunch, and their restaurant is a converted house just off Madison in Athens.

2. The Gondolier...It's a smallish chain nowadays, but I remember way back when The Gondolier was almost by itself here in Athens. Gondolier does great thin-crust, almost no-sauce, extremely garlicy pizza. I missed Gondolier pizza a lot when I moved out of Athens. As an aside, when I was a kid, Ernest Borgnine once landed at the local airport for some reason (weather, maybe; perhaps mechanical), and ate at The Gondolier. It made the front page of the newspaper. I shit you not. I recommend the House Special, in which they throw everything except sausage gravy onto the pizza. Comes with a side of sausage gravy*

3. Michael's...Michael's is relatively new, and in its second incarnation over in Etowah, since the first owners ran into some legal trouble. Good, good barbecue. A pretty good steak. The chef knows his shit.

4. Jenkin's Deli....We used to have a Jenkin's here in town, but there was a divorce and suddenly, the only Jenkin's is the one in Cleveland, Tennessee. More a pub atmosphere than a deli, they still have great sandwiches. If you can be a man, and order it in public with everybody watching, the Zippy Chippy Chicken Sandwich won't disappoint (except for that part where people make fun of you for ordering such a thing.) The only downside is that they've let their beer selection dwindle in recent times. You can still get a Bass or a Guinness, so I'm pretty easily pleased....

5. The Sitar....There's a location in Chattanooga, and a location in Knoxville (as well as Johnson City and Nashville...). The Indian cuisine has grown on me in recent years, and if I'm heading to Knoxville, there's as good a chance as any that I'll wander into The Sitar. Across the board, I'd have to say that the Chattanooga branch is spicier than its Knoxville counterpart--still, the staff trips on itself to make a pleasant dining experience in Knoxville. I really dig going there.

*No it doesn't.

(Of course, after thinking of these five, I keep remembering places...Either of the Mexi-Wing's here in town do hella-fine wings; Witherspoon's in Cleveland is another fine sandwich (although they've gotten really hit or miss here lately); My sister and friend Jillian both are to blame for my fascination with Lupi's down in Chattanooga; you can't go wrong with Mellow Mushroom; and Big River has to be commended for their I.P.A.; and though I've only hit it a couple times, the Half Barrel has pleased me immensely each time I hit it up in Knoxville....)


3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states) and let them know they’ve been tagged.

I'm going to tag Shyam (for the local counterpoint), Chris, NewsComa, Dave and Danielle (because I like tagging somebody on the other side of the planet)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home