Saturday, June 28, 2008

We have nothing to fear....

We have nothing to fear...

I've had some manner of light cold the last couple of days. I was calling it a sinus infection, but half the people I know have some degree of it, and given my general malaise and fatigue, I'm going to say that it's a cold that's moving its way from sinus cavity to sinus cavity, and flourishing.

I spent most of yesterday sleeping. Went to bed Thursday at the unheard of hour of 9:00, and slept until about 5 or so. Got up. Wandered to the Wal Mart for O.J. and sinus medicine. Came home, slept on the couch until just before eleven. At lunch with Shyam, who is suffering from the similar, came home, took another hour and a half nap.

All told, in a space of 18 hours or so, I slept 13 of it.

I was never all that sick. Just a little puny and overtired, which may have something to do with my rampant working-like-a-botardism. I was feeling mostly better, but I still took another early night...went to bed shortly after 9. Woke up at 12:30, and here I sit, fearful that I'm going to have to wander to work (and the scheduled viewing of Incredible Hulk Saturday night at the Midway Drive-In) and do that whole damn deal having been awake since 12:30.

So, what you're reading is a degree of a mental purgative. Ex Lax of the Mind, if you will. Something to see if I can get the thoughts and spin and ricochet against the lining of my skull to come out, so's your old pal Tommy can sleep.

If I can put my finger on something I dislike about being sick--aside, of course, from the part where you feel like shit, where everything aches, where you can't breathe--is the whole thing where I'm not falling all the way to sleep, but it doesn't stop whichever mechanisms in my brain that control dreaming.

I'll lie there totally conscious, but not quite awake, if that makes sense. I'll know that I'm in bed, feeling like crap, and that I can't sleep. Yet the movie theater of my mind will start showing whatever stupid dream it can come up with on the spot. And if it were something interesting, I don't think it would be a problem. But it's something mundane, like me putting product on a display at work, or having a conversation with my mother about the tires I just bought.

I liken to a movie being shown in a theater with the house lights still up, and the sound not turned all the way on.

Anyway. Going to wander back to sleep....hope it works out a little better this time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home