Sunday, August 31, 2008

Movie Quiz

Movie Quiz

Sleepy, but can't sleep. Here's the movie quiz from here, by way of Sheila....


The answers may change in the morning....but these are Tommy's insomniac answers, this night in August....

***********************************************************************

1) Your favorite musical moment in a movie

Oddly enough, what keeps popping to mind is John Williams' score just as Grant, Sadler and Malcolm have first seen the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

Although, I should mention in fairness that I know all the songs from The Muppet Movie, whether I want to or not.....

2) Ray Milland or Dana Andrews

Ray Milland, but not because of his incredible body of work. Mostly because I recognize him from from Escape to Witch Mountain.

3) Favorite Sidney Lumet movie

Can't go wrong with 12 Angry Men.

4) Biggest surprise of the just-past summer movie season

That Heath Ledger hit the nail on the head as The Joker. Favorite comic character of all time...this despite nobody ever having gotten it exactly right, in any medium, ever. A few have gotten close. But Ledger got it. I didn't dare get my hopes up.

But Damn. Just Damn.

5) Gene Tierney or Rita Hayworth

Rita Hayworth. Come On.

Photobucket

6) What’s the last movie you saw on DVD? In theaters?

I popped in Major League the other day, when I was getting ready for work.

My buddy Chris and I went to see Tropic Thunder when I was on vacation. That's another kickass flick...

7) Irwin Allen’s finest hour?

I'd have to say appearing on the pages of this blogamathing.

8) What were the films where you would rather see the movie promised by the poster than the one that was actually made?

They don't make creepy movies here lately. But if they could make a movie even a quarter as creepy as the poster for One Missed Call...Hanes' & Spray n' Wash's profits would rise based on my business alone...

Photobucket

9) Chow Yun-Fat or Tony Leung

You know, based on little more than my insane crush on Mira Sorvino back in the day, I'm going to have to say Chow Yun Fat. (You get two bonus Tommy points if you can tell me why).

10) Most pretentious movie ever

I don't know about ever, but the first one that pops to mind here lately is Revolver. Two hours of incompetence shrouded in a blanket of Pop Art. That one's some slaw, folks.

11) Favorite Russ Meyer movie

Without opening the curtain into Tommy's hornball past too wide, I think I'll say that Up! has a trippy vibe, but extra credit's given to Beyond the Valley of the Dolls just because Roger Ebert helped write that turd....

12) Name the movie that you feel best reflects yourself, a movie you would recommend to an acquaintance that most accurately says, “This is me.”

Photobucket

Especially the fight with Keith David and Roddy Piper. Especially.

13) Marlene Dietrich or Greta Garbo

Garbo

14) Best movie snack? Most vile movie snack?

The Best? A Wendy's Double Cheeseburger that you sneak in in your coat.

Runner Up? The popcorn with the yellow not-quite butter, not-quite cheese dust that they used to put on the popcorn at the Midway Drive-In, when I was growing up.

The Worst? Red Twizzlers. That's some vile, regpugnant shit.

15) Current movie star who would be most comfortable in the classic Hollywood studio system

Julia Roberts

16) Fitzcarraldo—yes or no?

Never heard of it, but based on what I've read just now, Hells yes.

Tommy just put it in his Netflix queue.

17) Your assignment is to book the ultimate triple bill to inaugurate your own revival theater. What three movies will we see on opening night?

Hmmmm.....

Actually....I'm gonna sleep on this one....

18) What’s the name of your theater? (The all-time greatest answer to this question was once provided by Larry Aydlette, whose repertory cinema, the Demarest, is, I hope, still packing them in…)

Big Stupid Tommy's House o' Wonders....

19) Favorite Leo McCarey movie

Duck Soup

20) Most impressive debut performance by an actor/actress.

I don't have a good answer here. I'll say Jeff Anderson, in Clerks, because there's a weird part of me that still digs Randall Graves.

21) Biggest disappointment of the just-past summer movie season

Eh. I knew better, but I wanted the X-Files movie to be cool. Really, really wanted it.

Dear Tommy:

It ain't 1995 anymore, bud.

Sincerely,

That voice in your head.


22) Michelle Yeoh or Maggie Cheung

Oooo....Michelle Yeoh.

23) 2008 inductee into the Academy of the Overrated

Dunno about overrated. Just a little burnt out on Jack Black, is all. Tropic Thunder almost broke me out of it. But not quite.

24) 2008 inductee into the Academy of the Underrated

Baby Mama made me finally turn the corner on Amy Poehler. That chick's funny.

25) Fritz the Cat—yes or no?

Sure.

26) Trevor Howard or Richard Todd

Couldn't tell ya. My movie snob pants aren't as long as yours, I reckon.

27) Antonioni once said, “I began taking liberties a long time ago; now it is standard practice for most directors to ignore the rules.” What filmmaker working today most fruitfully ignores the rules? What does ignoring the rules of cinema mean in 2008?

You know, I'm almost tempted to say M. Night Shyamalan, because he keeps pumping out whatever the fuck he wants to pump out, despite what people tell him, and despite the law of diminishing returns we've been seeing on his flicks since Sixth Sense. I like that he's writing and producing his own stuff on mass scale, and I like that it's done without throwing himself at the mercy of Focus Groups and the Advertising Monster.

But dude, I fell off the wagon with The Happening. And I might have been the only one on the hayride at that point.

28) Favorite William Castle movie

You know, without knowing exactly who he was, the first flick of his I ever saw was his version of 13 Ghosts. Still stands up today. I dig that flick.

29) Favorite ethnographically oriented movie

I don't have a good answer, except to say that I like movies starring Luchadores, generally speaking.

30) What’s the movie coming up in 2008 you’re most looking forward to? Why?

Stealing Sheila's Answer.

Photobucket

Because The Coens, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Frances McDormand and John Malkovich all raise Silly to a new level.

I'd like to see Tilda Swinton thrown into that. She's quickly become a favorite.

31) What deceased director would you want to resurrect in order that she/he might make one more film?

I wish the George Lucas that made the original Star Wars hadn't died when he was eaten by that horrible monster that now wears his skin like a sausage wrapping...you know, the one that affords his need for sustenance of Gold by running his merchandising machine like Satan's wood chipper.....

32) What director would you like to see, if not literally entombed, then at least go silent creatively?

How does Paul W.S. Anderson get to keep making movies, but I don't?

33) Your first movie star crush

I can't think of a movie star, but I always dug the chick who played Maria, on Head of the Class. I was probably 10 or 11, and that was the first girl I ever paid attention to simply because I thought she was pretty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home