Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cubbies....

Cubbies....

Well...the Cubs are in the playoffs again.

I'm happy. Damned happy. Don't get me wrong on that. Oddly, it was more of a relief than a celebrative event. Take that as a marker of my personality, more than anything.

This is the best Cubs team of my life, I can tell you that much. I look around at the National League, and say to myself that there's not anybody who can run with them consistently. The problem is, we don't have a best of 31 game playoff series.

Over a short series? Anybody can get hot. Especially a Los Angeles, and even one of the trio of Milwaukee, Philly and New York who can't seem to figure out how to finish a season. I look back a week and a half ago, and look at that swoon the Cubbies had. I look at those teams, and I look at our swoon. I know that anybody can get cold, over a short series.

The truth of the matter is, this makes the fourth time in the past ten years we've made the postseason. There's one side that says Lovable Loser. There's another side that says it's a squad that consistently cannot get it done in the playoffs.

I wonder what Bobby Cox would have to say about that.

Still, the Red Sox shook that off a few years back, and have won a couple.

I dunno. It's been a while since we've been in the position where there's a week to go, and we're in the position of resting up and setting a rotation.....

It's times like this that I think back ten years. I was in college. A chat with Dad, and a lucky strike the day playoff tickets went on sale for Wrigley, and we had tickets to game 4 of the playoff series against the Braves at Wrigley. The whole family wandered up to Chicago. The Cubs got swept that series. We wandered up to Wrigley the day after the fact. Mom got interviewed on WGN..."we'd come up from Tennessee to see the playoffs...."

I'm rambling. Not a lot of coherent thought around Casa de Big Stupid Tommy this morning. Bear with me folks....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home