Sunday, November 16, 2008

Weekend...

Weekend...

In the first place, if Knoxville, Tennessee so badly needed my money, they could have asked. I know that Knoxville's good for it. So many of my favorite things are in Knoxville....none of them come to mind at the moment, but I assure you that any visit to Knoxville will leave you saying "At least it wasn't Charleston, West Virginia all over again...."

However, I warn you...should you decide to re-enact Bart Simpson's pilgrimage to the Sun Sphere, be aware that Big Brother is alive, and keeping the world safe coffers full.

You old pal Big Stupid Tommy, some ten days back, decided to wander north in search of entertainment and suitable attire to wear at the job. Knowing that the finest shops catering to the colossally big and amazingly tall can be found some hour's north of my home, I went that way. (Honestly...why are there two Big and Tall shops a block from each other on Kingston Pike, but almost nowhere else in town? That section must be the Big & Tall District...)

Tommy's visit that day was mostly successful. Not only did he acquire work shirts, but a couple decent pair of slacks, as well. Indeed, he has been quite the dapper fellow during his time overseeing his appointed rounds at the local grocery....

Well, Tommy's truck, like yours, faithful reader, runs on Gasoline. And in these troubled and turbulent times, he saw a cheap price on once side of the interstate, and crossed the overpass to find it.

There are stoplights in Knoxville. Let me be the first to tell you this. I know this comes as a shock to the great many of you, that in this day and age, Knoxville has to resort to traffic lights to direct people when and where they may travel.

Tommy is a quiet fellow, who doesn't look to cause trouble. However, he desires as well not to be troubled, especially by little things like "other people's opinions...."

And if he is not troubled by other people's opinions? Should he be troubled by the opinions of a mechanized device simply because it is flashing one color at him or another?

Obviously not.

------

Yeah. Tired of my own voice, here.

While crossing the interstate, I managed to run a red light. I was apparently trying to beat a light, and did not beat it. The cameras, as much as I like to spout the vitriol of "that's his opinion" does not lie.

As such, I have become an unwitting contributor to the economy of Knoxville, Tennessee.

I'd intended this to be a rant on how I think the cameras are bullshit, and are less about serving the public good than they are raising funds...as the effect it has on my driving habits will be slight, at best..... But I believe that I'm most likely preaching to the choir...

Anyway. I hope Knoxville uses that money to pay overtime for some particular piece of bullshit....cleaning an overturned tanker of K-Y Jelly...or perhaps having to call Orkin in when Sparrows infest city hall...

God forbid they use it to fix that pothole I managed to find every time I'm running up the road to McKay's....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home