Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the old, in with the....

Out with the old, in with the...

In talking with Shyam, briefly, over Facebook...2008's thrown a couple of handfuls of salt at your old pal Tommy in its waning moments, I decided that 2009's gotta be a turn for the better. Work, bills, a bout of insomnia and a weird-ass virus that doesn't seem to realize it's a pissant, and wants to stay around to take a couple more pokes at yours, truly.

They aren't horrible, things. Little annoyances. That's all they are, for all my willingness to bitch and moan. I'll take time tonight to be thankful for family and friends. For a good job (that's tolerated me having to head out early, twice this week). For a roof over my head. For living in a country where we don't have to live in fear of getting blown up at the mall, or getting blown to smithereens because some asshole extremist decided to wake the dragon by lobbing a few missiles at it.....

Heck, I'll take pride in having gone to the doctor today, to find along the way that the blood pressure was at a very manageable 130/82....

So, things are good.

But, as always, they could be better....

Resolutions?

There are a few.

A few less visits to the Fast Food outlets that line the 30 mile path from my house to the job. I've said it before, but I'd like there to be a little less Big in the Big Stupid Tommy. Maybe if I weren't greasing the pipes with a couple thousand extra calories a couple times a week, that would go a little easier.

A few more visits to the bike path.

Write more.

Watch less TV...shouldn't be a problem given my recent damnation of Comcast, and ridding myself of their troublesome ways.

Most of all?

There's a quote that I've seen a couple times attributed to Jeff Bridges (the actor, not the guy I worked with a year or so ago). It goes along the lines of "Be Kinder than Necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle...."

I dig that.

Here lately, I've found myself taking life a little too seriously. And by lately, I mean, the last four or five years.

If I have a real resolution?

Take it easy. Keep my eyes on goals, but realize that it's about the journey, not the destination. And most of all...be kinder than necessary....

A little sappy, but there you go.

Y'all have a Happy New Year, and we'll see you on the flip side...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home