Saturday, April 11, 2009

Storms....

Storms....

Well, we had us a brush of bad weather out this way yesterday. Same system that brought the tornadoes to Murfreesboro, though we were south of the worst part of the weather, I think.

Still, went up to my folks house, owing to they have a basement to huddle in, should things have gotten exceptionally rough. They had some pretty stout wind, and they suffered a broken window in their sun room--the victim of a wind propelled stick or hickory nut. The power went out for a while. The worst victim, for their property, anyway, were the four or five stout hickory and poplar trees they lost. Up on the north edge of the woods, a particularly strong gust of wind must have blown through...they lost four monster trees. Three of them, I wouldn't be able to wrap my arms around, one of those by not much more than half, if that gives you any idea. Seeing that, Dad figured them fortunate, since the area near the house is lined with the same type of trees--any one that size would have forced an emergency re-model....

The smallest of the four did make a nuisance, as it fell across their driveway. Dad and I took the chainsaw and cleared a path for vehicles.

Talking to them this morning, their power's back on, and no significant other damage can be seen in the house, so, all's well.

Talked to friends out in Murfreesboro, my personal stomping grounds for eight or nine years. All seems to be well, with some minor structrual damage to one friend's parents' house. I've not heard yet from Gunny. As much as I'd like him to close his piehole, I'd prefer it that he and his not be demolished by storms. I tend to think Gunny would best be dispatched murdered by volkswagen beetle full of clowns. I don't know why I think that, but I also don't know why I get the odd occasional urge for Krystal cheeseburgers with jalapeno and buttermilk. I'm an enigma, I admit.

Spent about an hour yesterday watching channel 5 out of Nashville via their online feed, seeing a couple of landmarks I know from out that way with funnel clouds wandering through. Got a laugh from my buddy Alex, who's likewise wandered away from Middle Tennessee, when Channel 5 was reporting that a likely tornado was bearing down on the Jack Daniels distillery in Lynchburg--he pictured a tornado passed out on the ground, with other funnel clouds looking down disapprovingly....

Anyway. All's well here in this neck of the woods this morning. Hope things are sunny out whereever the hell you are.

Now, I go off into Saturday contemplating a gubernatorial bid....

Edit: Borrowing this video from Eric, over at Straight White Guy, who filmed the tempest wandering into the SWG Compound. It was a lot like that where I was, except their sunroom faces due west, and everything was blowing straight in at us, from that vantage point. What initially got my attention, as the storm was blowing in, was a 50 ft Cedar, maybe 300 yards from their house, splaying out and laying at nearly a 45 degree angle right as the initial brunt of the gust hit my folks' house....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home