Monday, October 19, 2009

Thoughts on a Monday Morning....

Thoughts on a Monday Morning....

Just a few random thoughts as I procrastinate:
  • If you ever get the opportunity to do a grocery inventory, I'd skip it. Eh....I'd say most people have something similar in their jobs. Some manner of rigamarole that's a necessary evil for reasons of accounting or bureaucracy. It's just a matter of sucking it up, and accepting that you're gonna spend more than the average amount of time getting things set up. (Now, getting those above store level to understand what's going on with that...that's a whole different ballgame. This one particular fact has been hardest to swallow in 2009: Ours is not to question why, ours is to jump and ask "how high?")
  • The inventory went well enough. Positive results. Probably the best results I've ever had. There's nothing worse than putting in a 60 hour week over the course of four days, and then getting a new asshole torn after results are announced.
  • So, I have the one asshole. I got that going for me.
  • Wandered down to dinner after work one day with the sister and brother-in-law. Ended up with more than a couple hours to kill, and wandered up to the cheap theater to catch Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince. Every review I'd heard expressed some amount of disappointment, and I found myself disappointed at being denied both the climactic battle at the end of the book and the interaction between Harry and Snape. Half-Blood Prince wasn't my favorite of the books, but I enjoyed the Snape/Harry interaction of it in that book more than any other volume. What did Snape have in the movie? Four lines? Ultimately, I'm with a lot of others who've said the same. Probably the wisest thing to have done adapting this book would have been to separate it into two flicks, perhaps ending the first flick with the destruction of the Weasleys' home (which I dug as a way to bring Harry closer to the destruction being wrought by the Death Eaters). At the end of the day, I think another flick should have been added, if only to give a little more character to the Death Eaters as a force.
  • I realized, too, that I don't remember having seen Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix.
  • I'm listening to the Harry Potter books as I get ready for work in the mornings. It's a way to go over the books again, without having to use up too much free time for re-reading something I've already read once. Harry Potter is still a git, by the way. Not as much as the first time, though. Surprisingly.
  • And that Titans' beatdown yesterday? Embarrassing. This is not a Jeff Fisher football team. I've been saying that since the Jets game. I don't know what's going on, exactly. But for the first time since they made it to Tennessee, it's like Fisher and his staff aren't getting through to the team. Add that to a quarterback situation that's plummeted off the cliff...this already has been a long season, and it might be a long couple of years. I have faith that Fisher can take control of his team, and knock the secondary and special teams into place. That quarterback thing may be an issue it takes a year or two to correct....
  • Good news for the next baseball season: The Cubs open their season in Atlanta. It's too close to our next grocery inventory to take the week off, but I think I can find a way to make Opening Day.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home