Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Thoughts from the Ass End of the Night, February edition

Been a little while since an insomnia post. A few random thoughts:

  • February is a motherfucker. Don't care for it, and I'd argue that it's seven or eight days too long if it weren't already 28 days. February's the month where I generally find myself getting sick as hell of the gray....we don't get much winter weather in this neck of the woods, but from November 15 or so, on to the middle of March it's almost perpetually overcast. Add to that working a job that'll keep me out of any potential sun often from sunrise to sunset, and your old pal Tommy's drinking himself through a nice case of Seasonal Affective Disorder the likes of which you don't see in the U.S. outside of those perpetually dark motherfuckers up in Alaska.
  • And as for the winter weather, we've already had Two (2) bouts of the shit in 2010, which is two more than we're generally blessed with. And while it's got nothing on the 30 inches of hell the Mid Atlantic's fighting with, it's enough mental retardation to make me want to pack up for the Caribbean.
  • February's generally a bad sports month, and this one's not a lot different. Football finishes, and baseball's two months away. I try to get into college basketball, but it's just not something that latches itself into my obsessive compulsive disorder like baseball. I've gotten back into hockey over the past couple of years, and that's helped. It was actually February 2008 that helped begin this new interest...Tivo was recording a random game here or there. I honestly hadn't paid too much attention since I'd moved away from Nashville. For all the attention hockey gets even in the Knoxville or Chattanooga papers or TV, it might as well be cricket or Australian rules football. Or chess. But the interweb is helpful, inasmuch as you can find not only instant news or results, but also other people who are interested and write well enough to pull you back in. And in 2010, I find myself following on a daily basis, and what happens? Olympic break.
  • And, I'm trying to be interested in the Winter Olympics, and there's hockey there, but to be honest, I'm just not feeling it. Maybe I'll feel different when it gets here. I like shows of harmony as much as any good Pisces. But Bobsled? Really? Make two bobsled race down the same chute, striking at each other with hatchets, and then I'm interested. Until then, it's like watching a guy with a stopwatch run the same 500 feet over and over again.
  • February's also a birthday month, which isn't a bad thing, I suppose. My mother's birthday is the middle of the week, and my own falls weekend after next. I'm turning a Jesus age this year. Maybe this'll be the year I learn to pick my clothes up and put them into a hamper.
  • I don't know if there's a way to bitch about Valentine's Day that doesn't leave you thinking that or me feeling like I'm a bitter guy without a girlfriend, but suffice it to say I've seen it from both ends of the spectrum, and Valentine's Day is garbage. When I become Emperor, I will destroy the Hallmark and American Greetings companies with my very own flamethrower, and pee the fires out myself.
  • Lastly, and I know this isn't a February thought per se, but my upstairs neighbor made up with his girlfriend this week. They'd been broken up maybe 2 weeks. But they are back together, for the time being. They love each other very often. Just thought I'd share. This whole Tommy Buying a House thing cannot move fast enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home