Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Batman v. Superman thoughts, while my coffee brews

So, this morning, the internet geek community's bubbling about a possible R-Rated home video edition of Batman vs. Superman, when it comes to it.

Of course, at 6:40 on February 24, that's unconfirmed and the whole community's gotten into a dither over nothing.

If it's true?  I'm of two minds.

First, let's loo at this whole Batman vs. Superman thing, which grew out of Man of Steel.  Man of Steel sucked.  Unnecessarily dark (literally...youtube the comparison videos where somebody's gone in and saturated the colors).  Philosophically disappointing.  And almost no fun whatsoever.

And Batman vs. Superman looks like an extension of that.

I'm still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.  But, hell, Warner Brothers never had to worry about taking my money.  If you put the words Superman and Batman into a movie title, I'm going to be there, even if the movie is Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory talking about Batman and Superman over dinner.

That's a bad example.  I would love that movie.

But you get my point.  I'm not the customer Warner Brothers needs to worry about.

I kinda think the customer they need to worry about, to some degree, is my Dad.  Who knows who the characters are, but doesn't follow them like the fanboy his son is.  My Dad, who might go see a movie a couple of times, if it's good enough.

Or my sister, who's got a kid who's five, verging on six.

I'm not making many points here, and I blame the lack of coffee.

I'm not going to damn a flick without seeing it.  But the first thought out of my head when I read the blurb about an R-rated version of Batman vs. Superman was "why?"  Why do we need it?  Who are we satisfying?  That post says Batman fans have been asking for this.

Really?

I don't mean that as a skeptical question, or even a rhetorical device.  I'm not that keen on the subculture anymore.  Are fans really asking for that?

At the end of the day, I guess the hand-wringing is for naught.  If it's for the DVD release, I gotta think it's kinda like the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit video releases, which are a little more violent in spots.  I also think there's something of a kneejerk reaction to the success of Deadpool.

I don't know.  Like I said:  Tommy needs coffee.

He doesn't need an R-rated version of Superman and Batman.  But he's not up in arms about it, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home