Tuesday, February 04, 2003

How do you know you which blues musician is dyslexic?

He's the one who went to the crossroads and sold his soul to Santa.

In other news.

I've got a rather large writing project going. I started it about a year ago at this time, and I got really rather far along into it (roughly 60-65,000 words). I took a couple of weeks off from it back in the fall (not intentionally, because work and life got in the way). I picked it back up at a later date and re-read what I'd written. I was a little discouraged.

I won't give you the plot details, though a couple of people that I've been talking to know what it concerns.

My problem was that when I re-read it, I noticed a couple of things.

Both are chronological in nature

Sub point A: I was having a little trouble with the speed with which things were unfolding. I want to slow the sumbitch down. I want what I'm writing to be creepy, but I feel like if it's constantly "rip-roaring," it doesn't accomplish what I want it to. Kind of like you need a long silence on a car ride before you scream "Boo!" at the person riding with you.

Sub point B: I have 2 major events in what you might call the second act. It might amount to what you'd call a climax of sorts. The two events happen at the same time. The problem? I realize that I had a character in both places at the same time. Why I didn't notice this at the time, I'm not sure. Except that I wrote each chain of events at two different times, and things got a bit muddled. Ultimately, it all means I gotta back up and re-drill.

I'm just rambling, but this is more to get my thoughts down on paper than it is anything.

See, Sunday was when I picked the sumbitch back up and decided that instead of leaving it as a pile of rubble, I was going to start over and make a house out of what material I have.

Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home