Tuesday, February 18, 2003

The Quotable Julie Pittenger:

"I'm gonna go beat the shit outta every one of the dumbasses Jay and Silent Bob style. These people are idiots."

Couldn't have said things better m'self.

I had me a wonderful conversation with a girl at the Wal-Mart. I was buying poster board, and I bought the DVD of X-Men. They call it X-Men 1.5. Why? I suppose it's supposed to be halfway between the first movie and the sequel coming out this summer.

As she's ringing up the DVD, the checkout girl says: "I didn't like this movie."

I was digging in my pockets, and I say: "What?"

"I didn't like this movie."

"Oh." You know when you get the vibe off someone that they're pretty unpleasant to be around? That's what I was getting. I wanted only to buy my posterboard and DVD, and then go home.

"I just don't think they should have made Storm black."

"What?" I couldn't help myself.

(Maybe I should point out now that Storm is a character in the movie and the comic X-Men.)

"Storm wasn't black in the comics. I know they have to do the racial diversity thing, but they shouldn't have done that."

Okay. Here's my dilemma. See, Storm is black. Always has been and (I'd assume) always will be. I so desperately wanted to point this out. The dork in me did. I don't know why. But I so wanted to tell her.

But then I had this thought: Do you really want to argue in public with someone so ignorant about everything?

That's true. She was ignorant on so many different levels. And I didn't want to immerse myself into that pool of discussion.

She kept talking. But I didn't listen. If I had, I wouldn't have been able to fight the urge to headbutt her into a coma.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home