Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I learned today that a McDonald's Big n' Tasty is neither all that big, nor all that tasty.

Live and learn.

I went to the scariest McDonald's in Nashville. I'm sure it's nice during the day. But there's pretty much no lighting in the parking lot. And I sat at the drive-thru call box for what seemed like a loooooong time. And I just got a Big n' Tasty and a medium coke. And it wasn't fun.

Jason and I went to a rasslin' show up at the Fairgrounds. That'll be two for the week, after tomorrow's TNA show.

I really dig these kind of shows. It's intimate, if you can describe such an event as intimate. Think of the rasslin show as theatre in the round, where the audience is allowed and expected to respond to what's going on. What's more, in such an intimate setting (where the fans are two or three rows deep instead of forty), the performers can react and respond readily to what's going on outside the ring, as well. It's something to enjoy.

Near the beginning of NWA-TNA's existence, a wrestler named James Storm was really banking on a gimmick of "Cowboy." And he'd come to the ring in a duster and a hat with six-shooters that fired blanks. He'd get in the ring, hop around and climb the turnbuckles, and fire off his pistols a couple of times.

One night, he was doing his schtick, and he climbed up to the turnbuckle to fire off the guns. The ceiling of the TNA Asylum is lined with fluorescent tubes. When Storm fired off his blanks, the consussive air coming from the guns shattered the light tubes he was directly under. Little shards of glass came raining to the ground, as performer and fan alike ran for cover.

James Storm was wrestling at the event tonight. I was relating the story above to Jason. As the Cowboy paraded around the ring, he must have seen my hand gestures (I talk muchly with my hands), and as he walks by, he taps my arm and asks in passing if I was remembering about the light tubes exploding.

That's the kind of interplay between fan and performer that I enjoy.

All in all, it was a good show. Chris Vaughn and Chase Stevens had probably the best match of the night. Chris Harris and Andy Douglas had a good brawl that sent Jason and me scurrying for cover at one point, as Harris threw Douglas into the seating area.

Also, regular fan Chickenhat was at the event. Bill and I are of the opinion that he lives quite near the Tennessee Fairgrounds. We saw him walking well away from the parking area after one show last summer. Is it possible that he lives within walking distance?

Chickenhat was quite the vocal fan tonight. He jawed quite a bit with one of the valets (Miss Infinity?), and also with Chase Stevens. At one point, Chickenhat got so flustered he even used (gasp!!!!) the f word.

Frank.

Fufu.

Famdamdol.

All in all, it was a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home