Sunday, April 06, 2003

We went to see Miyazake's Spirited Away at the movie theater this rainy afternoon. It was interesting, if a little long. I appreciate the imagination and dedication it took to create the world the story takes place in, but the storytelling itself left a bit to be desired. It wasn't made, necessarily, for an American audience, and that may have something to do with the pacing...i.e. not your typical three act structure. Plus, I'm sure there was something lost in the translation.

It isn't a kid's movie. And in America, animated movies have too long been pigeonholed as kids' movies. Afterward we talked about what a great superhero movie could be made for the big screen if it were animated. If you're doing live action, a decent special effects live action film about (say, the Avengers) would cost you an arm and a leg. The Incredible Hulk movie that's coming out this summer. I'm not kidding, it cost roughly 2.3 billion dollars.

But everything's pigeonholed and aimed at kids. Look at Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It's a great Batman story, and my favorite big screen Batman story. But I didn't go see it in the theater. I waited until it was on video. Because I, like most of America, figured big screen (American) cartoon, that it would be for kids. And I wanted nothing to do with it.

So here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get several million dollars. I'm going to get the rights to somebody like Moon Knight or the newly resurrected T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, and make a KICK ASS animated picture. And Then! Then I'll market it correctly. I figure if you do things right, you'll make decent money. Not blockbuster by any stretch of the imagination. But enough, I think, that would make it worthwhile to the studios to do it again.

Spirited Away wasn't marketed well at all. The theater was filled with toddlers whose parents saw "cartoon" and figured they could bring their kids. What they got was 2:15 that was a little more intense than was probably needed by a three-year-old.

Even the trailers before hand were for Rugrats movies and Disney flicks aimed at teenagers.

It's all wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home