Tuesday, May 06, 2003

I want to take a moment to applaud the World Wrestling Federation for bringing back the Intercontinental Title at their next Pay Per View. Last year, after the brand split, the original IC title was merged with Eric Bischoff's newly created World Title. It gave the title some legitimacy (we're talking pro wrestling here), as the IC title had previously been merged with the old NWA/WCW United States title.

However, in doing so, it left mid-carders without a title to fight for. Some of the best WWF matches and feuds ever have centered around that Intercontinental belt. Shawn Michaels/Razor Ramon. Bret Hart/Curt Hennig. In fact, the Randy Savage/Ricky Steamboat match for the IC Title at Wrestlemania III is still one of my three favorite matches of all time.

Personally, I think that belt's the perfect belt for guys on the Raw undercard. See, a belt's an easy reason for a match. Instead of making convoluted feuds up, you can just say Rob Van Dam is fighting Lance Storm for the Intercontinental Title. Here recently, to have these to fight, you'd have to do something stupid. Like have Storm call RVD a hoser. However, now, they can fight over a piece of ornamental clothing, instead. Just like real men should.

If you called me a hoser, I'd have to pummel the tar out of you.

What's more, at Judgment Day, the WWF will be bringing the belt back, giving it to the winner of a battle royal!!!!!

I loves me some battle royals.

It's not enough to get me to pay $29.95 for the PPV. Nothing is. I make chicken feed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home