Sunday, March 21, 2004

Mama Always Said.....

Nice day yesterday, until the storms blew through, on the first day of spring.

They weren't terribly bad. Windy. Raining. A little lightning. Certainly not the worst will get in the spring. Hopefully none will be so bad as to send me scurrying under the kitchen table, but you get the occasional twister, especially around these parts. So ya gots to stay vigilant.

Since there's not a lot going on this Sunday morning...a little bit of RTB link love, at it concerns said storms.

Busy Mom.

Say Uncle, who was making chicken.

Eric, the Straight White Guy.

How did Big Stupid Tommy weather the storm?

Fairly well.

Actually, what happened to me happened as the storm was brewing. It was still a few minutes off from the wind and the wet, but it was pretty dark outside. Dark enough for the security lights to have been lit of their own accord.

I was talking on the phone to my friend Julie. I was listening to her accounts of her travels that morning (she'd gone up to Lebanon, to see what she could see). She'd just gotten to the part about the shoes when SCHPOP!

The phone shocks the hell out of me.

You know when you scoot socked feet across a carpeted floor, and touch somebody's ear? That kind of static shock? It was a lot like that, only a lot more intense, surprising, and a little more painful. I dropped the phone, swearing and cursing (I said Shit, except it was more that extended, shocked SHIYIT!, and What the Hell?). I picked the receiver back up, but it was dead.

It's about then that I put the flash I'd just seen from outside, the thunder which was basically instantaneous, and my little electrical jolt together.

Julie called me back a minute later, and asked what happened.

"Struck by lightning," I said. As nonchalantly as possible. We made our dinner plans and I got off the phone as quickly as was possible.

I spent the rest of the day in my apartment sitting across from the living room, staring suspiciously at Mr. Bell's invention.

It was later asked if I'd gained any superpowers from the ordeal, or if I'd just gotten the old garden variety brain damage.

No superpowers to report, yet. And we'd have to take time to seperate any brain damage I got from the jolt from what I'd had already.

So. I think I win. Telephone struck by lightning in the storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home