Saturday, July 24, 2004

Take my AGon. Please....

Take my AGon.  Please...

Anybody want a shortstop with a low batting average, who can't hit what the situation calls for, who strikes out a lot, who grounds into double plays against the Phillies and has a tendency to help lose game six of a NLCS with his iron glove?

If I were Jim Hendry, I'd trade Alex Gonzalez for a couple of buckets of spackle to use on crumbly old Wrigley Field.

Update:

Top of the ninth, no outs, and we get Goodwin on second.

In my mind, there is no reason a good team should not get that man across before  the third out comes.

Oh...wait.

Thanks, Mr. Goodwin.  For not even trying tag up on the fly to right.

Thanks Corey.  Keep swinging.  This generation needs a Rob Deer, too.

Thanks, Sammy.  For everything.  Thanks for saving baseball and being so cute and saying things like beisbol's been berry gud to mi. 

Thanks to the whole franchise.  I haven't written about the Cubs lately because I feel like a chump for following them.  For getting my hopes up.  For praising them when they win.  I feel like they win in spite of themselves.  Today, they were, by the Phillies, again exposed as the frauds they are.  They're a team of wannabe heroes, not realizing that it's little things like moving a runner over, and keeping tempers in check when a certain umpire you don't like is behind the plate, that's what wins championships. 

Not combining for four home runs a game.

The Cubs go out each day and they play a stupid, stupid, brand of baseball.  It's a brand that is staggeringly lacking in fundamentals, and it's a brand that makes them either unable or unwilling to adjust to any situation other than the one Dusty and the crew prepared for.

I got myself in a good mood this morning.  I looked, and I said to myself, they're only a game out of the wild card slot.  The Cubs aren't out of it...there's still time.

But the effort I saw in Philadelphia today was sorry.  Yeah, the Phillies are good.  But they didn't have a closer, and they've got more nagging injuries even than the Cubs.  And we couldn't capitalize.  Twice, in two innings, we couldn't capitalize on good situations.  A runner on third with one out?  A runner on second with no outs? 

I hate the Cardinals.  I hate Tony LaRussa.  And Steve Kline and Jim "Smiling Stupid" Edmonds. 

But the Cardinals are playing good baseball.  Tony LaRussa has them in the right mindset, and they're doing the little things that teams do when a team wants to win it all.  This year, I think is their year.

The Cardinals deserve to win it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home