Saturday, September 11, 2004

This Afternoon on Fox

This Afternoon on Fox

Got home from yard salin', and I settled in with my Turkey sandwich made by the nice folks at Subway, and I looked at the TV schedule.

This afternoon's lineup:

1:00 Infomercial
1:30 Movie: Mystic Pizza
3:30 Movie: Red Corner
6:00 WWE Bottom Line

As much as I love the movie Mystic Pizza, and as bedazzled by the intrigue of the title "Red Corner" as I am, and even as much as I love World Wrestling Entertainment....

I can't help but notice that there is no baseball being shown nationally this afternoon, on a Saturday, in the midst of the pennant stretch run.

I don't know if the fault lies with the Commissioner's Office, or with Fox Television. Frankly, I'm a fan of neither party, and the sooner baseball's done with Bud Selig and Fox TV, the happier I'll be. This is the most important time of the season, and Fox doesn't think baseball's worth its while to show, and more importantly, the car salesman ostensibly in charge of our game hasn't done enough, apparently, to make it worth Fox's while to show the game.

Lookit. It's the NFL's opening season, and you can't swing a dead cat without hearing, seeing or smelling the NFL. Because the NFL goes hogwild promoting itself.

Allan H. "Bud" Selig seems to think everybody ought to be bending over backwards, paying billions for a ridiculous TV package, for his game, depending on its standing as a great game instead of working to actually make the game great, and getting people into the stands to see how the game's great.

It's about promotion. It's about publicity. And Major League Baseball has done virtually nothing to promote itself in any positive way since 1998.

Not to worry. The local CBS affiliate is showing the Titans/Dolphins game after all. The Chattanooga stations usually choose to align themselves along Atlanta Falcons lines, so it's a pleasant surprise to see them showing the Titans at all. I'll just watch that, Allan H. "Bud" Selig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home