Saturday, October 23, 2004

World Series: Game 1, fourth inning

World Series: Game 1, fourth inning

This postseason has thrown me off my writing routine, such as it was. I was, fairly regularly, getting up at 5:30 or so to write for an hour or and hour and a half. It's the only time I can go without getting disturbed by something else before I have to go to work.

But these playoff games have been going so late, I've been sleeping until the last possible moment before getting up to work in the morning, not writing as I should be, as a result.

A co-worker was giving me crap about it, not writing because of baseball. So here I am, writing about baseball. Eat that, Punkie!

Tim Wakefield is the first knuckler to start a WS game since 1948. That's crazy. I'd have figured somebody would have started since then...one of the Niekros or somebody like that. Go figure. Now that I think about it, the Niekros usually pitched for dumpy teams.

I've been working on my knuckler. Maybe I could make it into the majors with an effective knuckler.

Speaking of Wakefield, it's getting a little anxious up in here. Three walks to open the fourth. I'm getting angry over here.

Bronson Arroyo's warming up. I never got the cornrow thing. For white or black people. It just seems like too much work for your hair. Too much effort to put in. I'm a buzzcut guy, myself. Shower off, run a towel over it and go on.

Two runs come in for the Cardinals. It's 7-4.

Somebody get Bill Mueller a smaller glove. That's two plays in a row where a Boston infielder gets the ball tangled in the glove mmaking the transfer from glove to throwing hand.

Arroyo's coming out of the bullpen.

Commercial Break: The shardsoglass freeze pop commercial, parodying the cigarette makers' ads, has a website.

The insanity doesn't end with Arroyo. Larry Walker continues his Hulk push. Cardinals have two on with Albert Poo Holes (Sloth link)at bat.

And Fox goes to a celebrity crowd shot. Would somebody get a DNA sample from Steven Tyler? He may not have a Y Chromosome.

And that's the end of the inning. Arroyo keeps the Deadbirds from scoring more.

The Cardinals score 3.

St. Louis 5
Boston 7

Half Inning

Looking forward to Ocean's Twelve.

Back to the Baseball

The Sox are into the Cardinal bullpen. The Cardinals are still down, and very vulnerable.

Listen at Orlando Cabrera being told not to throw elbows. I do like the Sounds of the Game. A positive, in the baseball coverage. It ain't all bad, I guess. Until Tim McCarver jumps in to explain the obvious. Because you're too blinkardly stupid to understand it as it's presented too you.

Obviously, so very stupid.

I like saying "Taguchi." Except when he catches Red Sox fly balls.

Johnny Damon back up at bat. His third at bat, by the fourth inning. He pops out. That's what happens when I brag on people. He ends the inning.

St. Louis 5
Boston 7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home