Monday, February 14, 2005

Monday Morning

Monday Morning

Just a couple of thoughts, before we all wander off into the work week.

The other day, in that high school meme the other night, I forgot to mention my friend (and regular commentor) Joe as a high school friend. Joebo came to our high school our senior year. We spent many, many hours depriving each other of an education with our antics.

----

I've just gotten back into the cable/satellite TV thing. Yeah, I bitched about SportsCenter and all the superfluous junk that goes along with it. But it's cool to have again when you haven't had it in a while.

Which is not to say I don't like the more streamlined ESPNews better. But for the time being, having SportCenter is cool again.

----

Last night, I did an interview with Chris of A Large Regular. He said "I wanna interview." I said, "Okay."

It'll be up some time today, over on his blog, I believe he said.

----

I mentioned a few weeks ago that Jeopardy was coming to do a contestant search down in Atlanta. Well, that was what I was doing this weekend. This makes the sixth time. Three times for the teen tournament, when I was in high school, once in college, and now twice for the regular Jeopardy show.

The way they do it, is they set a test time, you go in, take a fifty question test with many different categories used as subjects. Then, those who score higher than the all too secret number of correct questions needed get to stay for a face-to-face with audition coordinators.

Of the previous five times I've taken the tests, I've passed the secret number (which is agreed by Jeopardy nerds to be somewhere around 35 out of 50 correct) the three previous times I've taken the test.

I must be getting dumber.

This was the sixth time I took the test, and I did not pass this time around.

I was disappointed, but not surprised. It's the luck of the draw, more than anything, and some days you'll do alright, and some days you'll get a few questions you don't know the answers to. Yesterday was not my day. Which isn't to say I wasn't a little bummed. I realized it was bothering me about an hour into my drive from Atlanta. I hit Dalton, which is about an hour to the north, and I realized that I'd been driving in silence. No radio, no CD, no nothing. Doing nothing except boiling in my own stew.

I'm most of the way over it this morning, though.

I took some comfort in the fact that in my session, there were only a couple of people who passed, out of the 70 or in the room. So, there were 68 or so in my session who agreed that it was fairly difficult.

They asked us not to talk about what was on the test. I don't know how many cities they use that particular contestant test in, so I won't say much about it. Harder than usual. That's what I'll say.

So. No quiz show for your pal Tommy. Not this year. And knowing how much Jeopardy hates coming to the south (and believe me, were the conspiracy theories running rampant in my mind about making a harder test for southerners so that we won't have Redneck Jim becoming the next Ken Jennings...I'm mostly over that now...mostly...), it'll probably be a while before I try again.

Anyway. That was my weekend. Check out Chris's site later today. I learned many things about myself with the interview. Perhaps you will too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home