Thursday, June 09, 2005

Arsenic and Old Lace

Arsenic and Old Lace

Flipping through the channels this morning and I ran across Arsenic and Old Lace on Turner Classics. And I hit it just before my favorite moment, when Cary Grant's Mortimer just happens to look inside the window seat to find the body of the man his aunts have just murdered. It's one of the great comic takes of all time.

I also love when he calls the telephone operator, to check his sanity.

"Operator, Can you hear my voice?"

A great pause.

"You can?"

An even better pause, where Mortimer is still struggling with reality.

"Are you sure?"

If it's possible to watch the hell out of a movie, I'm going to watch the hell out of this one today. I lent my tape out when I lived out in Murfreesboro, and I never got it back. I haven't gotten my Uncle Teddy fix in a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home