Friday, October 21, 2005

Thoughts from the Ass End of the Night

Thoughts from the Ass End of the Night

Hey! An Insomnia Post. Once a staple of what the staff did here at Big Stupid Tommy, it returns for what we hope is a one night engagement....

Reason for being awake at 4 in the morning? They've been passing this bitch of a cold around at work for the last couple or three weeks. You can track the progression, from person to person. I've managed to avoid it, until yesterday evening, when I felt a scratchy feeling in my throat and a dull throb in my head. I woke up about an hour ago to use what we call "the commode" and found that I couldn't breathe through my nose, and that my eyes itched and my throat had gotten worse.

Luckily for everyone, it seems to just last 24 hours or so, and then pass on.

This is how it always worked my four years at my last job, though. I'd usually get one cold (or something) a year, and then only while I was on vacation. Ain't that a bitch? There's something psychological going on there. And I don't appreciate it. This bullshit where I won't let myself get sick while there's work to be done.

If I'm going to be sick, I want to be sick on somebody else's time, especially if this is the first vacation I've taken in 2 years.

-----

Like I said, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow. My buddy Steven and I are trucking up to Cooperstown, and I'm hoping my talk of a cold isn't dissuading him....

We're going to stay with his family. It's an opportunity for him to catch up with them, and it's not hotel lodging for me. I can remember a time when staying at a hotel/motel was just about the coolest thing on the planet. Now I find myself avoiding them if at all possible....

Heading to Baseball's Hall of Fame. This is fulfilling a promise to myself I made back when Ryne Sandberg was getting inducted earlier this year. I'd told myself for years and years that when Sandberg got inducted, I'd be there. Because somebody quit at work and left us shortstaffed on the management end, I didn't get to take my vacation then, and missed it.

Now I'm going. I've never been to the Hall. Looking forward to it.

The plan is to drive up Saturday. Hang out with Steven's family
Sunday, and hit the Hall on Monday.

-----

Anybody else thinking The Colbert Report is just The Shit? I love that show.

-----

The nice folks at Netflix sent me the Family Guy/Stewie Griffin movie. Maybe I just needed the comic relief, but the whole drunken Stewie bit made me laugh until I cried. I won't spoil it, but when Brian drags him from the room, I had to stop and rewind the DVD...I was laughing so hard I missed what happened next....

Family Guy is still hit or miss with me. It's why I waited on Netflix instead of rushing out to buy. But this one's fairly spot on. There's some good stuff there.....

-----

Chris visited the Gulf Coast, and he noted just how much college football talk he's finding on the radio down there. As somebody who's had it up to his noseholes with the Tennessee/Alabama talk this week....

The Knoxville sports talk station switched over to Fox Radio from 10-12 in the mornings and Jim Rome from 12-3. Now, I've never been a big Rome guy, but I like having a national sports radio show that'll reach down here into the boondocks. I'll still listen to the local talk every now and then. What was once 100% University of Tennessee football talk is now down to about 95% U.T. football/5% bitching about the fact that Jim Rome is on from 12-3.

And it's not Jim Rome they're complaining about. It's the fact that they don't get to talk about Tennessee football from 10 until 3, even though there's something like 14 hours of other U.T. talk the whole rest of the programming day.

And people bitch when I talk about baseball in the offseason....

----

Anyway. Like I said, I'm heading out on a trip tomorrow. I'm not going to partake of the interweb, more than likely, while I'm on the road. It'll probably be the longest I've gone without online access since the mid 90's. And it'll just be four or five days, if that tells you what kind of dork I am.

I may sit down and post something tonight, but if not, we'll see you guys on the flip side...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home